Textures for 3D Object?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

Textures for 3D Object?

Post by AJ Allen »

I'm just wondering what people do for things such as brickwork, doors and windows? Does everyone make their own? I think at this stage that is a bit beyond me (having enough trouble with actually creating a clubhouse shape with no shadows) so maybe suggestions on where I might pick up a few things? Windows and doors and things like that. I don't want to go and import them into APCD from courses without havng permission to do so.

Thanks, AJ
LeWAW

Re: Textures for 3D Object?

Post by LeWAW »

Create your 3D objects with basic shapes (cubes, sphere, cylinder)
And create your textures with the more parts possible, just a sample, 90% of my club house in Lambton use this one, your mappings will do the rest...
Remember, the more textures you will use, will increase the size of your final file and will increase rendering times in game...
Attachments
LGfront.jpg
LGfront.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

I'm uploading a file with more than 2000 textures here, I hope it will be available soon :cheers1:
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Wow that sounds great. I'm just trying to make up one something similar to the one you showed, but using my own bricks and windows to match the clubhouse. Hopefully, I will be able to maker some progress with that.
Cheers AJ
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi AJ, I think LeWaW technique with Lambton works really well and looks good. I know that for my 3d buildings I have brick, window and door textures all separate. That's a function of how I build things I guess. Although, for some houses on Royal Liverpool I made a 1024 x 1024 texture that was bricks and windows, but that's because it's not very close to the course. I use Google Earth (streetview) to get some textures or I just use Google Images to search up things. The last texture I searched and applied was grey house siding that went on buildings in Sage's Chambers Bay.
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Please excuse my questions, I am still learning all this.

OK, so on the texture that leWaW posted, it has the bricks windows and door on it. I'm assuming that when a section of the building is selected and that texture is applied, you use the gizmo the set a wide and orientation, so that just the part you want shows? So maybe a window, and the rest gets hidden. or am I way off base with that? I had originally been thinking doing it the way I saw in Dannys #D house videos, where each texture is seperate, and verts/edges are added in the correct spots for each thing, like a window. Im just not sure which method is best, or easiest?

Cheers, AJ
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

AJ, you're working upside down....
First of all, I'm working with a colored checkerboard texture like the one in my 1st pic.
I map (with the gizmo) this texture, with a planar mapping...2nd pic.
Then I work in Photoshop to create the "real" texture on the checkerboard one... see the 3rd pic.
And finally you just have to replace the texture in APCD... 4th pic.
If you want (and it's recommanded) you can use the rest of the texture for another side of your object... 5th pic...
Attachments
christmas-1089530_960_720.jpg
christmas-1089530_960_720.jpg (180.39 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
map.JPG
map.JPG (117.82 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
lgpignon_1.jpg
lgpignon_1.jpg (259.58 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (97.02 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
lgpignon_1b.jpg
lgpignon_1b.jpg (263.99 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

P.S. a real picture of the Club House...
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (92.41 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: May 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm Please excuse my questions, I am still learning all this.

OK, so on the texture that leWaW posted, it has the bricks windows and door on it. I'm assuming that when a section of the building is selected and that texture is applied, you use the gizmo the set a wide and orientation, so that just the part you want shows? So maybe a window, and the rest gets hidden. or am I way off base with that? I had originally been thinking doing it the way I saw in Dannys #D house videos, where each texture is seperate, and verts/edges are added in the correct spots for each thing, like a window. Im just not sure which method is best, or easiest?

Cheers, AJ
Hi AJ. How you map out the individual textures and apply them to the various 3D structures pretty much depends on what specific textures you need. I taught myself how to apply each window and door individually when I did my very first course as I was first learning the APCD. Unfortunately I came along after all of the super designers had already moved on to other golf games, so there were not many folks still around to offer the best advice. Now that some of them have came back, we can all pick up more valuable tips that many of us lost out on back in the day.

I want to take the time to thank all of these guys for adding more ideas and details to designing that I had not seen or heard of until recently. :clapping: :notworthy: Thanks guys!

The method I used in my tutorial was simple, and spoke about small projects, such as simple houses. My first course was a small 9 hole course here in my SE Missouri home town. Nothing at all special, but it gave me a chance to learn the necessary skills to move on up to bigger and better things. Along the way I learned some valuable lessons. I'll explain...

I went to my local course and took pictures and videos of all of the structures that could be seen while playing at this course. It's surrounded by farmland and fields, and there was a row of houses that ran along one side the course. My intention was to replicate every building that could be seen while playing the course. There were 15 buildings I think. One of them was the one I built in that tutorial. I wanted the course and buildings to look as real as I was capable of making it, with the limited tools we have available with the APCD. By the way, in case you are not aware, the file size only grows by the use of each single new texture that you use. However, you can use that same texture a hundred more times, and the CRZ will not grow at all. Same way with 2D and 3D object in your planting set. Each NEW one adds to the file size, but re-using it dozens of more times doesn't...

It took me 14 months to complete, and when I was finished, I couldn't have been more pleased with the way it looked when comparing it to the actual IRL course. I personally can't imagine myself doing it any better than it came out, considering I was working with a very old and somewhat limited program, such as the APCD. (not bragging, just sayin') lol... I was building it for the owner and wanted to impress him.

When I finished it, I learned that I made a major mistake. Not knowing any better, I created all of those houses and buildings using windows and doors and siding and shingles that looked similar to the real house. I spent hours on the Internet locating pictures of the windows and doors, and saved them all in 1024 hi-rez TGA files. There were 9 or 10 houses, all using different textures that matched each house. You can imagine how large the CRZ grew. I believe the finished course came in at around 280MB (tiny little 9 hole course) :laugh: It also took around 6 minutes to load, the first time you played it in Links. 2 things I learned in this first attempt. 1: The individual windows, doors, siding, shingles, etc. can be created and saved in low-res, and they look just as good from the distance as the hi-res ones. Normally you don't get near enough to a house do see it up close during a round of golf. 2: The APCD is an amazing program, and I did a lot of experimenting during the building of this course, and I pushed it to what I thought was it's limit. I was a beginner, and I wanted to know what it could do. I am impressed. :yes: I can't imagine putting it to a harder test than what I put it through on this first course. It held up just fine.

I finally went back to all of the building textures, and re-sized each one from 1024x1024, to 256x256. In the end, I really was not able to see much difference and it knocked a LOT off of the file size, and shortened the load times.

Bottom line is, it's best to work with the smallest sized textures as possible in areas that are not closely viewed and don't need detail. Use hi-res on things you will be seeing up close during a game, such as grass or rough textures.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your course. :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added