The Mesh. Triangles or Squares?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
AJ Allen

The Mesh. Triangles or Squares?

Post by AJ Allen »

I don't think I have seen anyone using square mesh in the course designs. Sure some people must have, but I haven't come across one yet. Is there any reason not to use squares?

I decided to try it out, and having been working on a design of my local course using squares over the past few days. I have to say, I find it easier, and better. So, why don't I see other courses using this, is there something I don't know , some good reason to use the triangles rather than square mesh?

Cheers, AJ
sagevanni

Re: The Mesh. Triangles or Squares?

Post by sagevanni »

Hi AJ,

I start all my courses lately with 6-8 initial verts. I start everything from scratch so to speak. That way I have every vert where I want it.

Works well for me.......
plot.JPG
plot.JPG (104.68 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Hi A.J.

Same as Sage. I start a course with one X on the plot running corner to corner. U use an overlay photo and place every vert myself, beginning with the elevation points...

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I never really considered that, using overlays is a bit too advanced for me at the moment. Plenty more practice needed before I atempt that.

What I have been doing with the course I am working on (and no, I have never completed a full course yet) is using a combination of Google Earth, and the course flyovers of each hole on their website. I don't get exact elevations, but it's never going to be an exact replica anyway.

So far, I'm finding the square mesh to be better (for me) than the triangles. But once I have done a course or two, I think I will try it your way. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers, AJ
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: Hi AJ. After losing everyhting I am just starting a new layout, you may find the way I do it of some use
I always use square mesh and if you alter the density when you start you can have as many squares as you prefer. To lay out the course I first create three shapes as shown in the diagram. One for the Tee , one for he Fairways, and one for the Green. These can be copied moved around and rotated as required to continue building the course layout. ( One point I would like to make is Never Ever Insert shapes, it will add hundreds of unwanted points )
Use the shapes just as a guide for whatever you are doing and then delete them when finished. I dont know why ( Insert ) was ever included ??
Square Verts.png
Square Verts.png (64.79 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
New Layout.png
New Layout.png (154.3 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
I hope you find this of some use
Derrick
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

That's an interesting way to do it Derrick, and not one I had thought of. I will give it a try with tees first, as they are usually all the same size and shape. Get the hang of it before trying fairways and greens. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers, AJ
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: The squares in the diagram are 100yd sqaure so it gives you a good idea of distance when laying out the course
The three shapes are just a guide for laying out the course, you make the original one to the size and shape you want when you start to add vert.
The three shapes are only made once as you just copy them and move the copies around as you lay out the course. This way you dont run out of space
Square Verts 2.png
Square Verts 2.png (296.7 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
I forgot to include this one in my post
Stay safe
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

derricksummers wrote: May 21st, 2020, 3:55 pm :thumbup: The squares in the diagram are 100yd sqaure so it gives you a good idea of distance when laying out the course
The three shapes are just a guide for laying out the course, you make the original one to the size and shape you want when you start to add vert.
The three shapes are only made once as you just copy them and move the copies around as you lay out the course. This way you dont run out of space
Square Verts 2.png
I forgot to include this one in my post
Stay safe
Derrick
Hi Derrick. :smile:

Just so you are aware, running out of space is nothing you should worry about. You can always pull the sides of your plot out any time that you want to make it any size or shape that you need. Choosing the size of the plot at the beginning does not lock it in to that specific size.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: Yes thats true Danny, its just that I like to stay within the bounds that I have set out at the start. The size of the plot can effect how the planting will look,if you like dense planting a big plot can be a lot of work. Thats the beauty of the APCD everyone as thier own way of doing things.
:bookh: :helpsmilie: :dunno: :pcwhack: :surrender: Still trying to find out how Sage does it :notworthy: :cheers1:
Take care
Derrick