APCD From Start To Finish - Video Tutorial Series

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Jimbo

Re: APCD From Start To Finish - Video Tutorial Series

Post by Jimbo »

Merci!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks guys-I got it downloaded! :cheers1: :clapping:

NOW WTF DO I DO??? :fear: :scared:

... :naughty:

Don't be looking for anything soon-hopefully my nit picking will prove to be an education for yours truly as well!
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

You could download Shaughnessy and mess with it :thumbup:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

hopeless@golf wrote: October 30th, 2020, 9:13 pm You could download Shaughnessy and mess with it :thumbup:
Mygawd, I'd turn it into a manure farm! Give me some time to get my feet wet! :fear:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:25 pm Thanks guys-I got it downloaded! :cheers1: :clapping:

Don't be looking for anything soon-hopefully my nit picking will prove to be an education for yours truly as well!
You stopped at saying you have it downloaded. Now read the instructions that I provided on the download page on how to install it on your computer. After that go to Lez' tutorial #1 and begin learning. :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Danny D wrote: October 31st, 2020, 3:26 am
Jimbo wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:25 pm Thanks guys-I got it downloaded! :cheers1: :clapping:

You stopped at saying you have it downloaded. Now read the instructions that I provided on the download page on how to install it on your computer. After that go to Lez' tutorial #1 and begin learning. :cheers1:

Dan
Yes dear... :rofl:
Mike Nicely

Post by Mike Nicely »

Hello All .. been away from LInks and the Designer for a long time due to health issues. Recently I decided to load the game and play. Then I thought why not try the designer again. I wasn't the best at it but did love it. Here is my problem.
I loaded a course I never finished and started to work on it. Here is where it all went crazy. After 4 hours of work I copied the file and put into the game to see the new work. Did not show in course list. Went into the course folder and it didn't show also. So I opened the designer and it would not open the file. Then I clicked open in menu .. it was in the list but when I chose it all it did was showed the waiting to load symbol and then would stop without loading. I have no idea what is happening and was hoping someone here could help. Is there a way to install it.
I have the 1.5 version ... I loaded it as Admin and also am running in Windows XP compatibility. Frustrated :surrender:
Also tried starting a new one and same thing
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Mike Nicely wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:34 pm Hello All .. been away from LInks and the Designer for a long time due to health issues. Recently I decided to load the game and play. Then I thought why not try the designer again. I wasn't the best at it but did love it. Here is my problem.
I loaded a course I never finished and started to work on it. Here is where it all went crazy. After 4 hours of work I copied the file and put into the game to see the new work. Did not show in course list. Went into the course folder and it didn't show also. So I opened the designer and it would not open the file. Then I clicked open in menu .. it was in the list but when I chose it all it did was showed the waiting to load symbol and then would stop without loading. I have no idea what is happening and was hoping someone here could help. Is there a way to install it.
I have the 1.5 version ... I loaded it as Admin and also am running in Windows XP compatibility. Frustrated :surrender:
Also tried starting a new one and same thing
Hi Mike...

Generally when you open an older course, the APCD will give you a popup warning that it can't find some 3D objects. That error pops up on the desktop UNDERNEATH the APCD and you can't see it. The APCD won't advance any further until you acknowledge the error. You have to figure out a way to minimize the APCD so you can get to the desktop to acknowledge the error before the course will finish loading.

If that's not what your problem is, I can't offer any other solutions.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thoughts:

-When you do a Validate and Save in APCD of the course, does it say the course is playable?

-I know you described the loading symbol and then nothing happening, but is that the way it has always been when you described (in the other forum) that courses wouldnt load? Or have you other times perhaps gotten an error saying "File not a CRZ or unable to read CRZ"? Or perhaps an error saying something like "the file cannot be found"? Either of those would give us a clue on what is causing the problem.

-Sometimes if a course is a really big file or has a LOT of planted objects on it, or a LOT of texture mappings or a LOT of something else, and especially with courses that were designed on a different computer, it can take ages to load them. There are some tricks to make it easier such as only having the top view open and not having stuff showing in the view. However... the fact that it sounds like you managed to open the old course fine to begin with and then work 4 hours on it should suggest that this probably isnt the issue...? Hmm...

-If all else fails, would you perhaps be able to either record a video of what you're seeing, or make a bunch of pictures, showing exactly what you see and what you click on etc? Specifically, the part from making a save in APCD, to the part where it does not open back into APCD.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Mike Nicely

Post by Mike Nicely »

I did get this message one time , File not a CRZ or unable to read CRZ. But after that the file will not load. As far as making a video or taking some screenshots I don't have any way of doing either.
I did get a validation notice saying course was playable. Then like I said I played it in Links and when I went back into the designer it would not allow me to open the file.
I am going to try to open just the top view with nothing showing and see if that will load. But as soon as I try to load it I am able to click file or even close the program so I would imagine if it was trying to load it would not allow any other buttons to be active.
Truly baffled by this .... but the one good thing is while I have not been able to work on that course I have been messing around with learning seam blending again .. wow the things I forgot how to do. Forgot how lost I can get in the program. My wife said Oh my you have your girlfriend back again.. I won't see you for hours... hahaha