Fixing Concrete Trees

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
bmumma

Fixing Concrete Trees

Post by bmumma »

Wanted to check if there was an easy way to do this, but it seems like some of my trees had their "target box" switched when I synced up the 2001 library in a new version of APCD to plant some fences. I've updated the objects now, but the trees seem to remain in that "concrete" state where any touch makes them bounce. Is there an easy way to fix en masse? Or do I have to replant each tree that's in play?
EJ55

Re: Fixing Concrete Trees

Post by EJ55 »

No, a replant is not needed , you'll have to go to top view and select the object , check the box select...current only then do a box select of the entire plot selecting all objects of that kind the update the selected object.
bmumma

Post by bmumma »

Awesome, thanks Eddie! Not great but way better than the alternative :-)
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I found the same thing, when I forgot to check the settings after importing some grasses. They were all concrete, and had heaps of them in one big plot.

So what did was selected ONE of them using the perspective view, then looked at the properties. I checked the box for "all pass through" and then checked the box to apply the setting to all objects of that type. Then I clicked the update button,for all images.

That seemed to work for me, no more concrete grass, and I didn't have to select more than one grass to change all of them to pass through. Not sure if that helps at all?

Cheers, AJ
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

AJ Allen wrote: May 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm I found the same thing, when I forgot to check the settings after importing some grasses. They were all concrete, and had heaps of them in one big plot.

So what did was selected ONE of them using the perspective view, then looked at the properties. I checked the box for "all pass through" and then checked the box to apply the setting to all objects of that type. Then I clicked the update button,for all images.

That seemed to work for me, no more concrete grass, and I didn't have to select more than one grass to change all of them to pass through. Not sure if that helps at all?

Cheers, AJ
I tried that method a long time ago and it corrupted my objects. 2D objects have been the source of many issues for users, but I haven't had issues. I've refinished Kill Devil Hills, Bull Run and Harbour town with the same method I described, it's your course so do what you will but I'd caution against it. Case in point in 20 years there may have been valid complaints of mistakes on my end but never a steel tree, grass or bush.

Best of luck and enjoyment in your designing!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

AJ Allen wrote: May 20th, 2020, 2:51 pmapply the setting to all objects of that type
Yeah I advice not touching that one, I havent tried it myself but Im pretty sure Lez said that it applies those settings to all objects within that same object category, perhaps even the collision (red-white) box and green dot for ground location. So possibly all your grass objects have had their properties changed now :unsure: I understand its easy to interpret it the way you did, APCD should really clarify it better, but yeah I would recommend staying away from that box.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

It's interesting to see what people say regarding objects getting corrupted. I did have something happen to my previous install of APCD, whrere shrubs were showing as houses when viewed from a distance, but they returned to being shrubs as you got closer. Not sure how that happened.

But think I have been lucky with it on this install, which is the merged one that I got from the download section on this site. When I changed the grasses, I wasn't worried if the properties got applied to all grasses... they all want to be pass thru and low height etc. So I haven't yet found that what I did has caused any harm. But like I said, I might have been just lucky, and won't try it again. Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Cheers, AJ
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

AJ Allen wrote: May 21st, 2020, 11:31 am It's interesting to see what people say regarding objects getting corrupted. I did have something happen to my previous install of APCD, whrere shrubs were showing as houses when viewed from a distance, but they returned to being shrubs as you got closer. Not sure how that happened.
That's corruption. The APCD stores groups of different sized pictures of most objects. I'll just use a waste basket as an example. Contained within the APCD that waste basket will have several pictures in different resolutions. These different sized pictures are there to be displayed in multiple sizes as you get close to, or back away from the object. When an Object Library becomes corrupt, one of the things it might do is to jumble up those pictures and scatter them throughout the other picture folders, causing the pictures to get mixed together and assigned to the wrong objects. When that happens, you will see the correct picture at certain distances, but as you back away, or get closer to, an object to where the picture is supposed to change resolution, it changes to a totally different object because the wrong picture is in the wrong place in the APCD. Corrupted.

Another thing that can sometimes go wrong is that someone will make their own object and save it in their course with the same name as one of the objects in someone else object library. Then someone will come along and import one of those objects from that course into their own course, and it will end up getting it's pictures mixed in with the other object with the same name, which will cause different pictures to show up as you move toward, or back away from them in the APCD. It's a pretty common problem actually. My suggestion is, if you find out that some of yours are doing that, don't use it. There's a way it can be fixed if you are patient enough, but it's a PITA and a little time consuming.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
bmumma

Post by bmumma »

While we're on the subject, the "All Passthrough" option - is that safe for grasses? Or does that create issues? I know all this was documented back in the day, but I don't remember everything!
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

bmumma wrote: May 21st, 2020, 3:48 pm While we're on the subject, the "All Passthrough" option - is that safe for grasses? Or does that create issues? I know all this was documented back in the day, but I don't remember everything!
I hope it is, as I have been using it. I haven't noticed any problems. Setting this on my grasses, I find that it works as expected, and if the ball is right in the middle of a clump, you get a few yards loss of distance. Depending on where the dampening and density is set to I think. Anyway, no problems for me, and I don't recall reading anything or seeing any tutorial videos that say not to use it.

Cheers, AJ