Tape ruler in APCD

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Re: Tape ruler in APCD

Post by pmgolf »

I already changed the default Windows 10 font to Lucida Console, which was supposed to be the one that Windows 7 used. Windows 10's default font is difficult to read. What I suspect is that the tape measurer is larger in Windows 10. I'll have to do a screen print comparison tomorrow if I can do it while the mouse button is depressed. When you release the mouse button, the tape measurer disappears.

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

pmgolf wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:14 am I already changed the default Windows 10 font to Lucida Console, which was supposed to be the one that Windows 7 used. Windows 10's default font is difficult to read. What I suspect is that the tape measurer is larger in Windows 10. I'll have to do a screen print comparison tomorrow if I can do it while the mouse button is depressed. When you release the mouse button, the tape measurer disappears.

Pete
I don't know if any of this will help, but it might give you some hints of where to look.

I recall having several issues when trying to adapt to the large monitor. The problem I was having was graphical glitches with cursors in Photoshop. I had to change my Windows 7 font size to 150% so I can read text on my monitor. Otherwise, it is so tiny I have trouble reading it. The problem is, when using that large font in Windows, and using an "AERO" theme, some of the older programs couldn't display certain things properly, so cursors wouldn't work, or display properly. I couldn't use Photoshop at all. I worked a long time trying to figure out how to fix that, and during one of my attempts it seems like I changed to an odd Windows font size. Something like 135%. I was looking for the highest font magnification that would still allow Photoshop to work properly. It was one of those changes that caused the APCD ruler glitch to show up. As soon as I saw it, I had to undo the odd Windows font size.

Just for kicks and test purposes, try a couple of tests. Change your monitor to a lower resolution and see what happens. Also disable the Aero theme if you are using it. The AERO themes have their own fonts, and sometimes aren't compatible with older programs, such as APCD. Try using the old Windows theme and see what happens to the ruler.

Good luck.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: After reading the post I used the tape measure as normal
I am using XP, everything was normal but when I tried to copy the
screen with my screen print the tape measure just vanished, the
dotted line and distance were still showing O.K Strange discovery.
When my last computer packed in I bought an XP instalation disc
from dell and i have only ever had one problem and that was that
Skype and XP don't like each other. I found loads of complaints on
this subject but none of the so called fixes worked so I deleted it.
A lot of my programs are like me, a bit old in the tooth but they all
work perfect with XP. Microsoft updates don't care about any old
programs they are just out to make money on the new stuff
:wallbash: :nono: :notworthy: Keep safe
Derrick
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
I am running Windows 10 on a HP laptop and I have no problems with the tape measure. (Sorry about the quality but it is a photo of my screen as I do not know how to take a screen shot while holding the mouse button)
IMG_0105a.jpg
IMG_0105a.jpg (342.37 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
I am not technical enough to know what setting(s) may alter this but if anybody wants to ask a specific question I will gladly try to answer.
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Ian, what's your screen resolution? Not widescreen, maybe?

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete,
The resolution of my laptop is 1366x768. I know nothing about widescreen setting.
As I mentioned the image was a photo of my screen, therefore it was not so clear. It was merely to indicate that the tape symbol does not cover the measurement text.
This is a screen shot, without the ruler symbol. (If somebody knows how I can take a screenshot including the tape symbol while holding the mouse button, let me know and I will provide it.)
Let me know if there is anything else, and good luck in finding the solution.
Ian
Attachments
IMG_0105d.jpg
IMG_0105d.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Thanks! At least I know it's possible to use the tape measurer without it covering the number. It always disappears on me, too, when I take a screen shot. For now, though, it looks like I'll have to transfer the .CRZ to my other PC (Windows 7), and do all the measurements there. :thumbup:

Pete
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Ian Wells wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 1:45 pm Pete,
The resolution of my laptop is 1366x768. I know nothing about widescreen setting.
As I mentioned the image was a photo of my screen, therefore it was not so clear. It was merely to indicate that the tape symbol does not cover the measurement text.
This is a screen shot, without the ruler symbol. (If somebody knows how I can take a screenshot including the tape symbol while holding the mouse button, let me know and I will provide it.)
Let me know if there is anything else, and good luck in finding the solution.
Ian
Hi Ian... Apparently doing screen shots will not capture the ruler icon. Only the dotted line and numbers. I tried doing a screen shot too, and the ruler icon doesn't get saved in the picture either. As far as wanting to know how to save yours, just take a measurement of something and while viewing the reading, press the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard with your other hand. That will save the screen shot to your clipboard. Next open a paint program and right click on the screen and select PASTE. That should give you a screen shot of the measurements. But I don't believe the ruler icon will be there. Since it happens for everyone that has tried it, I don't think that's any kind of a glitch though. It appears to just be the nature of the icon graphic while you're holding down the mouse button.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Links Bill

Post by Links Bill »

So I was having this problem in Windows 10 too, but think I have found the solution.

Go to the mouse settings and reduce the cursor size to the smallest size. That worked for me.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Thanks for trying, Bill. The distance is still partially covered by the tape measurer - even at the smallest cursor setting - but checking it led me to a possible workaround. When I do a screen capture, the tape measure doesn't show up in the print and I can see the number. It's a bit of a funky way to do it, but at least I don't have to go to my backup PC (Windows 7) to see the measured distance. Thank you!
No Tape.jpg
No Tape.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Pete