Hole tee off area signage

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.

Poll ended at March 2nd, 2020, 8:32 am

Do you like ( need ) hole signage..??
77%
Do you NOT like ( need ) hole signage..??
23%

Total votes: 13

sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Let's how many care........

Example.....
woodbridge teeoff hole 1a.jpg
woodbridge teeoff hole 1a.jpg (649.06 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Still Linksing

Re: Hole tee off area signage

Post by Still Linksing »

I voted yes but not sure about scale. Looks a little too big in that particular screenshot.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hey ....,

Just an example to show what I am talking about.......

Sage..... :smile:
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Cool. Just thought I'd mention it but the sign certainly looks really good Sage! :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I can take no credit for that pic example......That pic was put together as an example to me to include in my courses by John Erskine :clapping: .....he deserves the credit.......

Sage...... :smile: :smile:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I like the looks of it, but agree with .... about it being a little off scale. Another issue I've thought about when it comes to making them is, they may not be in view while teeing off and would end up being background eye candy, which is still a good thing. :smile:

Here's a tip on making 2D and 3D objects the right size. Make a course attendant your friend and helper. :smile: Use a course attendant from the 2D people planting section. They are the correct height by default. Plant the 2D/3D object, and then plant the attendant next to it. Just eyeball the 2 together side-by-side. You can tell right away if the object is too big or small. Adjust object scale accordingly and then delete the attendant... I try to use one with every first object I plant and then lock in the size I plant/size them... For example, the first ball washer I plant will be scaled like that, and then I lock the size so all the others match.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im confused, is the question if we like them, or if we need them? Because I do like them but I definitely do not need them :unsure: (so I didnt vote)

I wondered back and forth a bit if I should bother with tee plantings like that and ballwashers, benches and stuff for my course, but ended up deciding that I think theyre not important at all, and sometimes can even be distracting in a negative way (in my own opinion anyway). If I already had pretty ones that I liked I bet I would use them, but since I didnt have any and had to spend a lot of time making them, and didnt know if what Id make would even turn out pretty enough, I decided to skip it. I tried planting just ballwashers, then I thought they looked absolutely ridiculous standing there alone without anything else around. Theres something to be said for a more natural look without stuff like that if you ask me, but I can say that those tee plantings I remember seeing on your courses were ones I appreciated and liked Sage. Not sure at all what I will do for future courses, its a good question that I also would like to hear what people think about :laugh:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I haven't voted as, I too, "like them but I definitely do not need them"

When I try to make the APCD rendition of a course I try to make it as true to the original as I possibly can. Of course sometimes I do not have the technical skill to recreate all things. :wallbash:

Ian
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

I voted 'Like' but I would never say they are 'needed'.

I'm sure I remember some quite individual and quirky hole signs which I enjoyed but I'm dammed if I can remember the courses they were on. :sad:
I started off with nothing and I still have most of it left!
loner
Site Admin

Post by loner »

Another YES!
I like them but don't need them.
When reviewing I always mentioned the little things that made a course look "realistic".