Seeking advice for Seam Blends

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
derricksummers

Re: Seeking advice for Seam Blends

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Adalade open the course I did called Lakeside Retreat in the APCD
It will show you how I do my junctions in a very simple way.
Some time ago I did a Graphic post on Basic Seam Blending but for some
reason Andy as taken it off the board, It was intended for new designers.
The videos Lez did are great but they tend to go above my head as I like
to keep things simple, I have done several courses and as yet have never
done an Extrusion or given a name to any path maps. Keep it Simple
Attachments
blends.png
blends.png (320.86 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: :rant: :wallbash: Sorry about the duplicates still not used to the new system
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Derrick,

That is just about the same as I do mine........simple baby.....!!!!!

Sage.....
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yea I remember the thread Derrick, at the time some things went over my head since I hadnt yet made any Seam Blends myself and hadnt started looking into the details of how they work. I made a mental note to maybe go back and review the thread once I start Seam Blends myself, but the thread was on the old forums that got lost. Andy is not to blame, no one deleted the post, it simply got lost when starting a new forum from scratch was the only option. If you dont know what I mean, this LC facebook post from back then should explain:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... &__tn__=-R

Either way, as I said before, I get that your method of avoiding the seam blend intersections in question by planning horizontal seam blend paths from the start is a sound method. It just wasnt a good solution for my course already in progress. Im still not sure if I will stick with extrusion blends or not in the future, will be interesting to see what I decide to go with. It feels like it should be easier to plan and plot out exact borders between texture areas with high accuracy with extrusions since the mesh edges themselves make up the border in extrusion style, whereas the border in horizontal blends goes between edges, but I might be wrong.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: December 30th, 2019, 2:30 pmIt feels like it should be easier to plan and plot out exact borders between texture areas with high accuracy with extrusions since the mesh edges themselves make up the border in extrusion style, whereas the border in horizontal blends goes between edges, but I might be wrong.
Hi Adelade.
It sounds like you understand it, but I'll go into more detail, which might clear up some confusion, or questions you might have.

As we are learning the APCD, the "Extrusion Tool" has become know to us as a method used to select one or more faces and lift it up or down to create a vertical wall around the selected faces. Such as creating a wall, or a sidewalk with edges, or a bunker lip.

Just keep in mind it can be used in other ways. One example is the way I described how I make my flat (horizontal) seam blend paths. I highlight all of the faces that I want a SB path around, select the extrude tool, and give the highlighted area 1 quick tap from the top view. This action creates a duplicate layer of edges around the outer edges of the area, but leaves them pressed up against the lower level. Sandwiched in between those upper and lower edges, and connecting them together is an extra set of un-textured, or "extruded" faces. The reason I advise doing the extrude function from the TOP view using the Z axis, is so you can't accidentally lift or lower the faces, nor can you accidentally move them sideways. Now if you select the XY axis and use the MOVE tool, you can move the faces sideways rather than up and down. This is the fastest method of creating flat seam blend path.

To see how easy it is, use a tee box as an example and follow these steps...
1: From the top view, on the the FACES TAB, with the Z axis selected, highlight all of the faces that make up a tee box.
2: Select the EXTRUDE TOOL, and give your mouse one quick tap on top of the highlighted faces.
3: De-select all of the faces, choose the MOVE tool, and only select 1 single face on either side of the tee box edge.
4: Select the XY axis and using the MOVE tool, move the face sideways to create a narrow space between the inner and outer faces of the extruded line.
5: Move all of the other faces the same way all the way around the entire tee box to create a flat narrow path.

That path can be turned into a fringe, or a seam blend path, or whatever texture you want to assign it. You can make it any width you want by moving the edges sideways toward or away from one another..

What you are doing is simply adding edges using the EXTRUDE TOOL, rather than the Vert creator, or the Terrain Builder. Don't be afraid to create flat paths, sidewalks, roads etc. by using the extrude tool and spreading the edges, rather than lifting or lowering them.

I create every connected path that I make using the method I just described. Its MUCH faster and easier than creating all of those edges with the Terrain Builder tool. :thumbup:

Derrick mentioned that he never uses the extrude tool, but it would be the perfect tool to create the type of paths he made in the picture that he posted. :yes: He does nice neat work with whatever method he's using. :thumbup:

Cheers ya'll, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! :kicking: :cheers1: :clapping:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Dan, this makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining this in a very clear, concise fashion. :thumbup:
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev