Recommendation (cart paths)

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
GoesForIt

Recommendation (cart paths)

Post by GoesForIt »

If you're not going to make your cart path droppable, make it category fairway.

I don't know of a single golf course that doesn't allow a free drop from the cart path, but I've seen several courses in APCD that do not.

Just a recommendation.
Danny D

Re: Recommendation (cart paths)

Post by Danny D »

GoesForIt wrote: December 1st, 2019, 12:41 am If you're not going to make your cart path droppable, make it category fairway.

I don't know of a single golf course that doesn't allow a free drop from the cart path, but I've seen several courses in APCD that do not.

Just a recommendation.
Hiya GoesForit...

Every cart path that I've hit from has always played like a fairway. I've never ran across one yet that didn't. I actually prefer hitting from the cart path. Most of the time when you have to take a drop from it, it makes you drop in the rough, depending on what it's surrounded by :sad:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Cant remember what courses but I definitely remember a couple times where I ended up on a path and I was forced to take a drop with one stroke penalty, that indeed sucks. Same thing happened once on a tiny piece of dirt right beside a sprinkler when I missed the fairway by about 1 foot... Those penalties just kill your day. I think I prefer the universal free drop approach, because even if you can play off a path its ultimately a guessing game for the player about what properties the path is assigned. If the path is very near a fairway you will be able to drop on the fairway 99 times out of 100, if its not, then a rough shot is deserved anyway. I suspect some of these issues may be caused by seam blend errors.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: December 1st, 2019, 7:52 am Cant remember what courses but I definitely remember a couple times where I ended up on a path and I was forced to take a drop with one stroke penalty, that indeed sucks. Same thing happened once on a tiny piece of dirt right beside a sprinkler when I missed the fairway by about 1 foot... Those penalties just kill your day. I think I prefer the universal free drop approach, because even if you can play off a path its ultimately a guessing game for the player about what properties the path is assigned. If the path is very near a fairway you will be able to drop on the fairway 99 times out of 100, if its not, then a rough shot is deserved anyway. I suspect some of these issues may be caused by seam blend errors.
There should be no penalty for being on a cart path, unless the cart path was within a penalty area, which shouldn't happen if the designer was careful about terrain assignments. Sometimes we miss things like that. Getting a course 100% correct on the first try is not an easy task. That's why we like to use beta testers. More eyes can find more errors. :whistle:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
GoesForIt

Post by GoesForIt »

Danny D wrote: December 1st, 2019, 8:33 am
Adelade wrote: December 1st, 2019, 7:52 am Cant remember what courses but I definitely remember a couple times where I ended up on a path and I was forced to take a drop with one stroke penalty, that indeed sucks. Same thing happened once on a tiny piece of dirt right beside a sprinkler when I missed the fairway by about 1 foot... Those penalties just kill your day. I think I prefer the universal free drop approach, because even if you can play off a path its ultimately a guessing game for the player about what properties the path is assigned. If the path is very near a fairway you will be able to drop on the fairway 99 times out of 100, if its not, then a rough shot is deserved anyway. I suspect some of these issues may be caused by seam blend errors.
There should be no penalty for being on a cart path, unless the cart path was within a penalty area, which shouldn't happen if the designer was careful about terrain assignments. Sometimes we miss things like that. Getting a course 100% correct on the first try is not an easy task. That's why we like to use beta testers. More eyes can find more errors. :whistle:

Dan
Agree, especially when the texture and category are concrete. In champ mode, you have to hit the snap absolutely perfect if you're hitting from the cart path or the error is magnified dramatically. I suggest you CLONE the default CONCRETE Terrain Type and make it a free drop. You cannot alter the default Terrain Types.

Although, by default, CONCRETE is a "FREE DROP"

Also agree with "Getting a course 100% correct on the first try is not an easy task." It's going to be a great course.
Attachments
Concrete.JPG
Concrete.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 2686 times