3D houses

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: 3D houses

Post by Adelade »

Thank you so much for sharing that guide alarduran, that seems like it could potentially be extremely useful to some of us designers. I will possibly try out that method for some identical houses at Nine Bridges later on. If I can get a hold of the program anyway, havent looked into that part. So this means you can import 3D objects as long as you have those 3 filetypes... that is extremely simple compared to what I had imagined. I encourage us all to share those 3 files for any objects we make and that we are ok with sharing, I know I will share anything I make anyway. Thank you again
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

It's amazing who you can find around these forums! Hi al...it has been awhile. A forum and many email addresses ago. Glad you dropped in to back up my bad memory! Did you ever finish up Muirfield? Your 3d work was very appreciated as an addition to the Lytham update oh those many years ago.
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, Sean.
No, I never finished Muirfield. Family and work came into my way and APCD time became minimal.
Now, with this COVID-19 pandemonium, all people in my country were put on home confinement (I live in Spain) and I have a bit more spare time to spend it on digital golf, for a while.
Glad to hear that you are still working on multiple courses. I remember enjoy a lot playing Oak Hill.
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Adelade wrote: April 19th, 2020, 10:52 am Thank you so much for sharing that guide alarduran, that seems like it could potentially be extremely useful to some of us designers. I will possibly try out that method for some identical houses at Nine Bridges later on. If I can get a hold of the program anyway, havent looked into that part. So this means you can import 3D objects as long as you have those 3 filetypes... that is extremely simple compared to what I had imagined. I encourage us all to share those 3 files for any objects we make and that we are ok with sharing, I know I will share anything I make anyway. Thank you again
You're welcome, Adelade.
In case some of you would want to give it a try to the tutorial I attached before, I would like to share the 3 files of a 3D bench, ready to import into APCD. Those files were in the backup image file from some years ago. I cannot remember if I made them from scratch or got them from someone.
Bench.jpg
Bench.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Bench.zip
(128.29 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: April 19th, 2020, 10:52 am Thank you so much for sharing that guide alarduran, that seems like it could potentially be extremely useful to some of us designers. I will possibly try out that method for some identical houses at Nine Bridges later on. If I can get a hold of the program anyway, havent looked into that part. So this means you can import 3D objects as long as you have those 3 filetypes... that is extremely simple compared to what I had imagined. I encourage us all to share those 3 files for any objects we make and that we are ok with sharing, I know I will share anything I make anyway. Thank you again
I looked into 3DS Max last night. It looks like a very expensive rental program that you pay for monthly/yearly.
It's over 200 dollars a month, over 1600 dollars a year, and over 4000 dollars for 4 years. :scared: Might be cheaper to hire someone that has the program to create the 3D objects for us. :whistle:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Danny D wrote: April 20th, 2020, 3:07 am I looked into 3DS Max last night. It looks like a very expensive rental program that you pay for monthly/yearly.
It's over 200 dollars a month, over 1600 dollars a year, and over 4000 dollars for 4 years. :scared: Might be cheaper to hire someone that has the program to create the 3D objects for us. :whistle:
Hi, Danny D.
I'm not sure you need to use 3DS Max mandatorily. What you really need is a program that exports your 3D model (with its applied textures), to the DirectX format (.x extension). After a quick googling, it seems there are some plugins for exporting to that format from Blender or Sketchup but, then again, I'm not sure.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

alarduran wrote: April 20th, 2020, 9:32 am
Danny D wrote: April 20th, 2020, 3:07 am I looked into 3DS Max last night. It looks like a very expensive rental program that you pay for monthly/yearly.
Hi, Danny D.
I'm not sure you need to use 3DS Max mandatorily. What you really need is a program that exports your 3D model (with its applied textures), to the DirectX format (.x extension). After a quick googling, it seems there are some plugins for exporting to that format from Blender or Sketchup but, then again, I'm not sure.
I see. Not being familiar with this type of software, it's going a little over my head. But I'm picking up on your tips and will be researching it. Anything you can add to help guide me in the right direction will be very much appreciated. Thanks for the tips.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Blender is a free 3D program, very powerful. I've used it for other gaming purposes but never thought of using it for Links. A little looking around gave me the link below. I think Blender is up to 2.82 version. I'm looking to see if i has the same functionality....ie innate export ability, but a plugin download to be able to import. The only reason I can see to import is to check out stuff from APCD. If it can export people here could find uses I'm sure.

https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... -an-x-file
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

72Animal wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm Blender is a free 3D program, very powerful. I've used it for other gaming purposes but never thought of using it for Links. A little looking around gave me the link below. I think Blender is up to 2.82 version. I'm looking to see if i has the same functionality....ie innate export ability, but a plugin download to be able to import. The only reason I can see to import is to check out stuff from APCD. If it can export people here could find uses I'm sure.

https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... -an-x-file
Hi Animal. If I can find a program that could be used to create and import 3D objects into the APCD, I would love to add lots of new items to the 3D planting set. My problem is I don't know enough about the software, and don't quite know how to find what software I need or how to properly search for it. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

alarduran wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:16 am Searching into a backup image file of the XP computer I mention before, I found a pdf which might be helpful. It contents instructions to create 3D objects for APCD. If I remember well, this pdf was originally made public at the old apcd-courses.com site administrated by Mogulbasher (Andrew) and the late Rehit (Mick).
Creating 3D Objects for APCD.zip
Old thread I know........

Almost there in getting 3D objects into APCD from the latest version of 3DS Max. Not surprisingly, the program has changed a little over the years but have managed to realign the old instructions with the latest version. After alot of trial and error, at the final step..........

Be very handy if I could actually read the file settings that Andrew J used when he exported to X format. Can get past the blurriness of all those dialog boxes. If anyone can work them out, PLEASE let me know.

Full annual rate for 3DS Max is prohibitively expensive as we know. But they have recently introduced an "indie" (hobbyist) rate which we would qualify for (unless someone out there is making more than $100K annually from APCD design? :smile:) The fee is $390 US per annum - about 20% of the full price.

If I can get those options and can successfully import, I'll rewrite the instructions for using 3DS Max and importing objects into APCD.

That said, it's just as easy to build most simple one-off 3D objects you would need from terrain.......but 3DS MAX created objects would still have considerable advantages tho. Particularly for complex shapes, repetitive use of the objects, sharing, better tournament options, etc etc.
Last edited by Colin Jones on October 24th, 2022, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)