3D houses

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sodbuster

Re: 3D houses

Post by sodbuster »

Ditto what EJ said! :yes:
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

Thanks Gator!
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi John, it's possible to make your own 3d houses. I'm guessing 3d CAD software like Blender or Sketchup can do it. The reason I know is that someone on the old site provided me with 3d hole signs when I did Royal Lytham years ago. I still have those files, and the file string is .XYZ. With Royal Liverpool I decided to build the houses from terrain, 20 houses took me 8 or 10 hours, plus the same just on the clubhouse. 300 houses?? :scared:
Now, if Blender or sketchup could produce this .xyz file that can be imported into APCD (I still have a word .doc telling me how to do it) you could build them, say 4 different ones for variety, import them and plant them like the 3d stuff in APCD. The real work would be making the 3d houses and texturing them in software like Blender.

I'll keep looking for info on the xyz format, or perhaps someone here knows. I think the person that sent me the 3d hole signs used 3ds Max but I can't be certain. Blender and Sketchup are free which is why I think those may be of use to you. I've dabbled in the world of 3d CAD. It's a rabbit hole even deeper than the APCD!
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Thanks!
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

This is the kind of 3D stuff that 72Animal is referring to...
HoleSign.jpg
HoleSign.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
TeeMarker.jpg
TeeMarker.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Hi, Sean. It has been a long time...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

72Animal wrote: April 17th, 2020, 1:27 pm Hi John, it's possible to make your own 3d houses. I'm guessing 3d CAD software like Blender or Sketchup can do it.
Hi Animal... Not so long ago I was wishing that I could build a bunch of 3D automobiles to be used for parking lots and streets and such for the APCD. I mention 3D so they could be placed in specific directions, like a street or a driveway, or rows of cars in the clubhouse parking lots etc. Do you know of a way to do that and how difficult or expensive it would be? I understand they could be hand-built in the APCD, but ideally it would be better if they could just be planted, like other 3D objects in the object library. Any thoughts on that ?

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
sodbuster

Post by sodbuster »

Hey alarduran,
If you don't mind my asking, what software were you using for those jpegs examples?
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Hi, sodbuster.
Those jpegs are screenshots from some 3DSmax 9 works I made some years ago, with an old Windows XP computer.
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

Searching into a backup image file of the XP computer I mention before, I found a pdf which might be helpful. It contents instructions to create 3D objects for APCD. If I remember well, this pdf was originally made public at the old apcd-courses.com site administrated by Mogulbasher (Andrew) and the late Rehit (Mick).
Creating 3D Objects for APCD.zip
(624.03 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

alarduran wrote: April 19th, 2020, 9:16 am Searching into a backup image file of the XP computer I mention before, I found a pdf which might be helpful. It contents instructions to create 3D objects for APCD. If I remember well, this pdf was originally made public at the old apcd-courses.com site administrated by Mogulbasher (Andrew) and the late Rehit (Mick).
Creating 3D Objects for APCD.zip
Thanks for the info Alarduran :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added