Can barely hear planted local sounds

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Can barely hear planted local sounds

Post by Adelade »

Running into frustrations when planting sounds for my course. I've watched Lez' 2 videos and made sure I got everything right, Ive tested all kinds of different settings but still cant get it how I want it, anyone have any ideas?

The problem is this - The global sound is fine, its the local sounds that are too low volume no matter what I do. The actual raw soundfiles when played outside of APCD proves that the local sounds are what I'd call 3 to 4 times louder than my global sound, but once in game and testing it out, the local sound is instead 3 to 4 times or something lower volume than the global sound even when standing right on top of where the local sound was planted, and considering I have tried to set the global sound very low, the local one is simply almost not audible at all with the usual sound settings I play with. I've already used compressor techniques to get the local sound as loud as I possibly can in Audacity. Is anyone else familiar with this problem? I've made sure that there is only one global sound, I've made sure the local sounds are set to 100 volume, I've made sure the local sound's blue circle is covering the area. I dont know what else to do. Its not necessarily a big deal, I could live with only having the global sound working fine, but still its kinda frustrating after I've put a good amount of time into trying to get it right without succeeding.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Re: Can barely hear planted local sounds

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: November 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm Running into frustrations when planting sounds for my course. I've watched Lez' 2 videos and made sure I got everything right, Ive tested all kinds of different settings but still cant get it how I want it, anyone have any ideas?

The problem is this - The global sound is fine, its the local sounds that are too low volume no matter what I do. The actual raw soundfiles when played outside of APCD proves that the local sounds are what I'd call 3 to 4 times louder than my global sound, but once in game and testing it out, the local sound is instead 3 to 4 times or something lower volume than the global sound even when standing right on top of where the local sound was planted, and considering I have tried to set the global sound very low, the local one is simply almost not audible at all with the usual sound settings I play with. I've already used compressor techniques to get the local sound as loud as I possibly can in Audacity. Is anyone else familiar with this problem? I've made sure that there is only one global sound, I've made sure the local sounds are set to 100 volume, I've made sure the local sound's blue circle is covering the area. I dont know what else to do. Its not necessarily a big deal, I could live with only having the global sound working fine, but still its kinda frustrating after I've put a good amount of time into trying to get it right without succeeding.
I Adelade...
I've read somewhere that you shouldn't compress files for the APCD. It is supposed to use it's own form of compression. I don't know if it meant ALL files, including images and sounds. Have you tried using non-compressed sounds files?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Re: Can barely hear planted local sounds

Post by Adelade »

Good call, I really thought you had hit the solution there Dan, but it turned APCD had me fooled in an entirely different way. Your suggestion was what got me excited and energized enough to in the end (after a good bit of confusion, back & forth and head scratching...) figure out the real issue, so either way thanks a lot!

It turns out the problem all along was that once APCD has once loaded a certain wav file with a certain name, it will not pay attention to any other version of a waw file with the same name, so you cant make edits after that point without renaming the wav file no matter how you wipe and reload the file or sound. Figures! My first save of the files in question were volume tests before amplifying the volume... And then I made edits and saving in the same name the initial day. Whereas today during all the troubleshooting I instead kept making new file names each time I tested something to keep track of what I was testing, and it all just made no sense when I tried to find what was causing the loss of volume and nothing seemed to do it...

It really feels sooo silly having wasted a bunch of time because of that silly mistake (or am I allowed to call it an APCD flaw). All those edits I tried making to the files and APCD just whistling to itself looking the other direction, as if playing the fool and knowing full well that what I was working on would have no effect, and maybe even getting a kick out of it! Arghh! ...Oh well : ) All's well that ends well. Just gotta make sure to use unique filenames for edits.

SMH!
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...