Completed Hole will not play in Links2003

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Completed Hole will not play in Links2003

Post by Ian Wells »

Gentlemen, I again need your help.

I completed two holes of Mountaintop Golf and Lake Club, validated and saved and played both in Links.
This morning I completed hole 3, after my mishap yesterday with the crash. I validated the hole and checked that it was identified as playable on the check list. I opened the course in Links and selected the first 3 holes to play. After playing the first two holes Links crashed. I planted a tee and pin to hole 4, validated and saved and downloaded to Links. This time I selected holes 1,2 and 4 to play. No problems. I deleted hole 3 definition and redefined the hole complete with tees and a pin. Links again crashed when trying to play hole 3.
(I deleted user.lib after each revision.)

Any ideas?
Thank you.
Ian
Adelade

Re: Completed Hole will not play in Links2003

Post by Adelade »

Is there perhaps a lot of planting within view from 3rd tee, or anything else that is special about that tee?

Feel free to send it through pm if you want me to take a look and see if I can find something.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
There is no planting, other than 15 tees and 3 pins. (I do the vegetation planting at the end).
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Hole 3's Hole Boundary problem, perhaps?

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I would like to thank Adelade, who pointed me in the direction needed to solve the problem.

The solution was reducing the number of vertices on the lake.
This is the lake that was causing the crash:
H03 Before.jpg
H03 Before.jpg (538.68 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
And this is after the clean-up:
H03 After.jpg
H03 After.jpg (475.35 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
I have no idea why the number of vertices of the water should be different from other textures, but it does.

After I revised the number of vertices in the lake I came across another problem when I looked back towards the tees from the 3rd green there was the "red sky". After reading previous posts on the forum regarding the "red sky", I was even more puzzled as the posts suggested that the effect was caused by using stock textures for concrete and asphalt. I don't use either of these textures, but after following the line of sight from the green I noticed that there was an asphalt road I had inserted with a custom asphalt texture. After inserting the road, I had not cleaned-up the vertices, so I did so, and the red sky disappeared.

As I am new to building a course with Lidar download these are all part of my learning process and I am sure that there will be other problems to resolve before I complete the build.

Thanks to all who posted and to Adelade for pointing me in the correct direction.

Ian
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

I hope it's OK to make a quick post here, even though I'm not a designer. Ian....your topic here concerns a problem with a hole on Mountaintop Golf
and Lake Club. For some reason I got the impression that you were working on Crooked Stick. Is that still on your docket, or did it fall by the wayside ?
I'm just curious. ( I sure hope I have the right designer here, I know many of you are working on upcoming projects ). Anyhow.....is Mountaintop a REAL
course or fictional ? You do fabulous work recreating real courses , by the way ! I'm looking forward to it no matter if it's either type.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Ron,
I paused Crooked Stick, on hole 5, when I was offered the Lidar download of Mountaintop golf and lake club by Linkster. Mountaintop had been on my wish list for a while but Google Earth did not have 3D information. The Lidar download provided that.
Once Mountaintop is completed I fully intend to complete Crooked Stick.

Moutaintop is a course near Cashiers in North Carolina, very close to another Tom Fazio designed course, Wade Hampton.

Ian
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: I noticed that in one of your replies that you said you had inserted a path. Could I ask why you inserted the path ? This procedure as no use whatsoever and just makes one hell of a mess with added adjustment points. By all means use the line as a guide but when you have finished with it delete it , it seves no other purpose, I dont know why it was ever included. If I am wrong could someone explain what good it does ??
Derrick
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Derrick,

This is the first time I have tried to build a course from a Lidar download. Working with a grid of 3mx3m is a new experience for me and when I started the course build, I tried a number of ways to work with it. After binning the first five attempts I decided that it is quicker for me to use insert shape, or at least it seems to me that it is quicker, including the clean up after the insertion. :dunno:. (It may be debatable for the cart path and road, but for the first cut it seems much quicker.)

With the first attempts of adding vertices and turning edges it felt to me hard work and APCD is challenging enough without feeling that I am working.

I'm not saying the way I am building this course is the correct way, but it suits me.

Ian
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

I have no idea what a lidar dem is or how it works. When you first posted a pic of your course I could not believe the amount of verts on display. :unsure:
Do you have to have so many ? When I set out my course I have the verts something like you have done in the lake. Sadly my knowledge of the APCD is very limited so I try to keep things as simple as possible. Most of the time 90% of the questions asked are way over my head so when one crops up that I can answer I am dead chuffed :laugh:
The forum is my only link to the outside world, since the first covid lockdown apart from hospital and doctor appointments I have not been out of the house. This week I am going for electrode tests on my fingers so maybe they can do something instead of keep fobbing me of with tablets, its very frustrating when I have to pack in after about 15 minutes untill some use comes back in my hands. I am getting more exercise picking things up than someone doing press ups. :tongue: :rofl: :notworthy:
Good luck anyway with what you are doing
Derrick