Crash codes

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Crash codes

Post by Ian Wells »

Gentlemen,
Is there anybody who understands what the crash codes mean in a language that I can understand?
I have just worked for an hour and without any warning I get the Exception Violation window.
This is the text from Crash Log:

APCD CRASH LOG:

TIME STAMP:
9/23/2022 6:57

EXCEPTION TYPE::ACCESS VIOLATION

REGISTERS:
EAX: 00000000 EBX: 0000000b ECX: 0000000c
EDX: ca533cdf ESI: 00000005 EDI: fffffffa
EIP: 0067a56f EBP: 0019f7e8 ESP: 0019f7b8

STACK:
=== begin AfxDumpStack output ===
774339BC: Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll! ZwGetContextThread + 12 bytes
006824A7: LINKS\APCD\APCD Mountain Top Golf Club\Apcd.exe! Rect::operator& + 1818423 bytes
=== end AfxDumpStack() output ===

IP(0067a56f): Rect::operator&

It would be nice to know what caused this crash so that I do not repeat the error.

At the time of the crash I was adjusting individual vertex elevations and the auto-save was switched off. (I used to have the auto save on to save the file every 45 minutes, but I was informed that it would cause a crash :dunno: )
Crash if you auto save and crash if you don't. :wallbash:

I will be grateful for any help, - other than "save the file every 15 minutes".

Ian
derricksummers

Re: Crash codes

Post by derricksummers »

I have had this happen several times when doing a lot of work adjusting verts and layout, My big problem is that I am running XP and its limited to 4 gigs of memory, its as if the system gets overloaded with the alterations and shuts down. The only answer is not to over do it and save after a certain amount of work as been done. As regards the auto save problem , if it kicks in when you are doing a save you could have trouble, in the early days when I had it on I lost two files so thats why its recommended that you switch it off. Just save when you think fit.
:thumbup: Hope this helps its not funny when you lose a load of work
Derrick
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Geez, that sucks.
I am paranoid about this sort of thing. It ususally happens after you have done some really good stuff too.
If I mentioned how often I use " save as " you lot would think I am insane.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I use "save as" a lot..............I have bally-10.crz.
I have bally-10-23.crz right now.
I do it every 10-15 minutes and during and after a lot detailed work.
Just makes sense with what we know about the program.
This is the best way I have found NOT to lose a lot of work and get discouraged..................

Hi Todd..........As always I LOVE your bunker work.........makes mine look like amateur hour.

Sage........ :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Sage, I feel that is a slight exaggeration on your part, your bunker work is fine. And I see you have a great many in front of you on your new course.. :smile: Good luck with that, I look forward to the final result :thumbup:

:cheers1:
T
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Saving often helps mitigate losses so I definitely agree about that being good, but it doesnt mitigate the actual risk of crashing (at least not theoretically).

Some APCD crashes seem to at least partly be caused by some type of memory leak. It is the sort of thing that builds up over time, so if going a long time without restarting APCD, the risk can increase. It is difficult to say how often one should restart, for me it depends a lot on what type of APCD work Im doing - stuff that have to do with Edge manipulating, 2D planting and Crowd planting are some activities where I both save and restart much more often than with other type of work. In extreme cases where I want to do everything possible to avoid crashes (usually when mass planting) I might restart as often as every 5 minutes. That might be excessive, I dont know, but otherwise, even when Im only doing "safe" stuff, I think it might be a decent idea to avoid going over an hour or two without a restart.

Im as clueless as you about the error messages.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thanks guys.
Geez, that sucks.
Todd, you are absolutely correct. This was my first hour of the day and it did dampen my enthusiasm somewhat.

I normally "save as" every hour or so, on this course I have 126 saves for this month alone. It looks like I will have to save as every 30 minutes or so. :wallbash:

Ian :tiphat:
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Try clearing w10/11 CACHE FILES REGULARY.....temp files...see how you go...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Mate, I hope you get these issues sorted. I see you are having trouble now with links crashing. This is the sort of stuff that can drive someone away from the APCD.
Surely this has nothing to do with the lidar generated plot? Too many verts? IDK,Linkster hasn't reported any problems such as these. Anyway, I am of no help, sorry.
I might add I can 'save as' as often as every 5-10 minutes simply because I have been burned too many times before. I am forever cleaning out course files....lol
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Todd,
It is a lidar generated plot, but I can't see how a fault could be affecting a single hole?
Not ready yet to blame it on Lidar
Ian