Nine Bridges Course at Jeju Island

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Re: Nine Bridges Course at Jeju Island

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:38 am Thanks for that kind offer Danny, and I will most likely take you up on that once I've done some studying up and whatnot. I am starting from scratch.
I understand. I'm not sure if you've watched any of Lez Marwick's APCD Tutorials, but this is what I would do for you. After I create the overlay, I would save it as a .crz file that you can open with the APCD and begin setting your elevations.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... inish+-+24

If you decide to let me do it, there are a few things that need to be noted before you choose a course. I'll wait for your confirmation before I type it all up.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Thanks Danny, I'll let you know when I get around to it. I have a couple of things on the go right now, I'm getting back into programming again after 20 years of no programming, so I have a new language to learn first. And I also want to try my hand at writing a book. I'm at an age (as are many in these forums I believe) where my brain needs to be kept active, so I'm looking for things that will exercise it :laugh:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

What language, Fooooore? It's been 17 years since I wrote programs. Powerbuilder was mine.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

My ex used PowerBuilder, followed by Oracle, in her gov't job. I'm learning Python, which has become quite popular. Its popularity is only important in that it's well-supported with teaching aids, IDE's, and various other utilities. Anyway, to (barely) stay on topic, I like something mentally challenging, and from reading what others have to say, the APCD sounds excruciatingly so :tongue:
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

good luck with this project.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Thank you :smile: going along slowly... the very fiddly process of doing the elevations feels endless and has been destroying my motivation, I find myself unable to sit down with it for more than a short while at a time before I need a break. But Im slowly making progress, through with main elevations for 8.5 holes and still have my plan on getting them done around September to be able to put out a playable (though extremely simplified and unfinished in most aspects) alpha version for the real life October PGA event, for people who want to play along and dont mind unfinished courses. We'll see though, no promises ; )
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I know its not much to show this early but still - posting some screenshots. The main hole-by-hole elevations is really the biggest and toughest step of the process since Im doing them from midday flyover videos, once its done there should be quicker visible developments. Finally finished hole 9 which was especially tough to persevere through for some reason, I think there is good hope that the last nine will go easier.

Dont mind the elevation markings on the overhead, I knew from the start they (from Google Earth) werent very accurate for this course but I still wanted to use them as a starting point, and only realized halfway through just HOW low their accuracy was. I went through a lot of unnecessary trouble making them much more dense than they needed to be for a course without detailed GE elevations.

First 9 with main hole-by-hole elevations set:

NineBridgesAPCDJuly1.jpg
NineBridgesAPCDJuly1.jpg (647.96 KiB) Viewed 5214 times

The height difference between highest point on the whole plot (bottom right corner in picture below) and the lowest point (the valley at the far end of the picture below - sort of top center) is no less than 390 feet or 120 meters.

NineBridgesAPCDJuly2i.jpg
NineBridgesAPCDJuly2i.jpg (286.09 KiB) Viewed 5214 times

Lastly a picture from 9th tee - uphill par 5.

NineBridgesAPCDJuly3.jpg
NineBridgesAPCDJuly3.jpg (198.45 KiB) Viewed 5214 times

All elevations will be further fine-tuned later on.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Very interesting detailed update! Looks great. Appreciate the hard work.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I just found out that they recently decided to cancel the PGA tour tournament on Nine Bridges this year after all because of COVID, or rather move it to be held in USA. They must have made that decision very recently because it was still on when I checked some month ago or something... That makes me sad as I was really looking forward to it, but it sounds like it's probably only this year and hopefully will return to its home next year. With that in mind I guess I will likely skip making public the bare-bones alpha version for people wanting to play along that I had planned in time for the tournament, I was feeling kinda torn about it anyway since I wasnt at all very keen on releasing something so unfinished, we'll see though. I finished the main elevations in the end on schedule for my plans, but decided to make some better fine-tuning of some of the first 9 holes which should be done soon. After that it will be vert painting for the texture borders around the course which should be quite a change of pace from all the tricky elevation puzzling and fiddling. I must admit its very difficult not to be jealous of people getting hold of DEMs for their courses at this point, if I'd had that for Nine Bridges it would have saved me about 9 months I guess! :laugh: Not regretting anything though, I may be complaining a bunch about the elevations but I know it will be worth it :smile: Amazing course, cant wait to play it. Should be some more updates possible to showcase in a couple months hopefully.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Nothing special, just another tiny update.

Im pleased that my motivation indeed spiked up and Im spending a lot more time per day with APCD now (still not that much I suppose), I updated the overlay, pasting in more recent Google Earth satellite imagery than when I started, since the newer image made it easier to see some parts of the course. Was a bit of puzzlework to fit things in but I wanted the exact same size as the old overlay so I could swap back and forth between the 2 without having to change the texture mapping, and it worked out excellently. Painted in main play area textures for first 8 holes so far, dont mind the colours they're just temporary placeholder stock textures.

I still dont expect even a beta release for at least half a year or something, so much work ahead, but I can already begin to smell the first playtest-able version I've been looking forward to for so long... :smile:
Attachments
NineBridgesAPCDSeptember.jpg
NineBridgesAPCDSeptember.jpg (312.5 KiB) Viewed 4705 times