Nine Bridges Course at Jeju Island

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Nine Bridges Course at Jeju Island

Post by Adelade »

I've had my eye on this course - Nine Bridges at Jeju Island, South Korea - for a long while as a candidate for first real course for me to take on once Im done with my first fictional. Trouble was to get sufficient elevation data as the Google Earth elevation map of the course isnt detailed at all. But after finding the really nice flyovers per hole on the CJ Cup Youtube channel, as well as some other useful material here and there, Ive decided its enough for me to indeed take on this course next. Planting set should be a challenge but I feel up for it.

Just wanted to officially put it out here to decrease risk of multiple designers unknowingly working on same course. Anyone know if the course and tournament is locked in for 2020-2021 PGA season as well? Also, if anyone know any other sources whether big or small for elevation data for this course please let me know :thumbup: Looking forward to following the rest of the CJ Cup
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
FOOOOORE!

Re: Nine Bridges Course at Jeju Island

Post by FOOOOORE! »

It's a beautiful-looking course, I'd certainly be interested in playing it. I grabbed all 18 "hole overviews" from pgatour.com the week the TOUR played there and used them as wallpapers, did you happen to see those photos?
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Not sure, but if what I think you mean is correct, I have saved the ones from the 2018 tournament anyway. They have the black boxes of brief info and scoring average per hole on the right side, although maybe you saved versions without the info box. I think those were from the pga tour site. I mostly use and plan on using the flyover videos that can be found on youtube or the thecjcup site, and they have some photos there too. I have many other resources as well, not sure if I will be wanting more pictures or not, I have mostly been hunting for videos and found many useful ones.

The main problem is elevation data which is being a MAJOR PAIN, since the only official detailed data I have are 2 sources that often give conflicting and straight up clearly incorrect data...:rant: It's been an absolute jigsaw puzzle so far to try get the large scale elevations correct, but in the end I found a couple videos of the course being played in a real simulator, whose elevation data I think seems accurate enough. Together with the other resources as well as the undetailed Google Earth data it feels like I've been able to piece it together in the end. Still, the most of the medium to small scale elevations will have to be done using videos and my own eyes and judgment, but I plan on being very thorough with it and think I will be able to accomplish satisfactory results. After all, I think most Links' real courses have been made with this little or even less elevation data.

I gotta say Ive been more and more falling absolutely in love with this course already, I think its going to play -really- wonderfully in Links. Absolutely amazing course, cant wait to bring it to yall. Hoping to have a version representing accurate gameplay but extremely primitive visuals ready before the PGA (hopefully) return there around October.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Yes, those are the ones I was referring to, and I kept just the images minus the text overlays (which might be also helpful in course design). The course is a work of art, obviously designed for its looks as well as for playing golf. Google Earth can be finicky with elevations, and it isn't unusual to see impossible variances only a few pixels apart. I have decided to try my hand at course design, and downloaded quite a bit of material -- tutorials, backgrounds, etc. -- I haven't been able to find this "Links Extender" utility, is it available on this site? And were there any tweaks done to the original APCD, as were done to Links itself, or is that still in its original form (thinking of possible code changes to allow 1024x1024 textures, for example)? I did some courses for Mean 18 on the Apple IIgs eons ago (1986-87), so I'm not completely in the dark as to the difficulty of constructing a course, though obviously Links will be much more demanding.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 25th, 2020, 4:07 am Yes, those are the ones I was referring to, and I kept just the images minus the text overlays (which might be also helpful in course design). The course is a work of art, obviously designed for its looks as well as for playing golf. Google Earth can be finicky with elevations, and it isn't unusual to see impossible variances only a few pixels apart. I have decided to try my hand at course design, and downloaded quite a bit of material -- tutorials, backgrounds, etc. -- I haven't been able to find this "Links Extender" utility, is it available on this site? And were there any tweaks done to the original APCD, as were done to Links itself, or is that still in its original form (thinking of possible code changes to allow 1024x1024 textures, for example)? I did some courses for Mean 18 on the Apple IIgs eons ago (1986-87), so I'm not completely in the dark as to the difficulty of constructing a course, though obviously Links will be much more demanding.
Nothing new with the APCD. :sad: What you see is all there is.

I find Google Earth measurements to be very accurate. The main problem is, it only shows elevations in 1 foot increments. Still, even with that you can get amazingly close to original elevations. Also it depends on the Google Earth satellite mapping provided. The more popular areas have 3D contours and images, while others only have flat surface photography. With that type of imagery its impossible to get accurate elevation measurements.

Here the Links Extender Utility. https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=66

Good luck with the new course. :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Thanks for the info and link, Danny, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You do have APCD 1.5 right? It should say in the directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Arnold Palmer Course Designer 1.5) for example, unless you renamed it. Google Earth seems to have detailed elevations for most courses in USA and the most popular areas elsewhere, Jeju isnt one such at this point in time, but I wouldnt be too surprised if they add it right after Im finished with the course! :rollseyes:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Yes, I have 1.5, strange that the "About" tab lists the version as 20.05.07.1901.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

FOOOOORE! wrote: February 25th, 2020, 8:13 am Thanks for the info and link, Danny, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up with.
Hi 4..... In case you're unaware, some time back I offered to help new designers get a start on course creation by creating an overlay for them. Would you be interested?

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Thanks for that kind offer Danny, and I will most likely take you up on that once I've done some studying up and whatnot. I am starting from scratch.