Edge Defects

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Re: Edge Defects

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks for trying Todd.
I am at a loss as to why this particular database is so messed up.
I really hate doing a lot of work and having it all go for naught...........

Sage...... :dunno:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Duck Hook wrote: September 8th, 2022, 2:04 pm This is so weird. I tried everything I could think of. Swapping out textures and alphas, building a bunker from scratch, rotating the plot, manipulating verts and edges, simplifing the verts in the bunker and removing the seam blends altogether and replacing them with extrusions and new mappings and a second time with my cambrian ridges textures and still the same problem. Safe to say, I don't know :dunno: Just to check I finished off some bunkers on the loblolly course at cambrian ridge and there was no problem. As I said, it's weird. Sorry mate, but I am of no help
Very interesting, I would have really expected them to go away or at least become much less noticeable with your bunker-building style and textures, because I remember reflecting on how there seemed to be very little (or perhaps none, dont really remember) of this effect in your Cambrian Ridge bunkers back then, despite rather bright sand (though the lip is darker). It almost feels like it then suggests it is caused by something else in the CRZ... as strange as that feels to say. I tried just now to pull the whole plot up or down by several hundred and thousand meters, in case it effects the angle of the lighting in some way (perhaps someone already tried this), but no change.

Do you remember if you created your plot using square or hexagonal mesh Todd? I always do hexagonal and I've always seen the effect present in my courses to a small degree. Its all I can think of right now.
Last edited by Adelade on September 8th, 2022, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: Thanks Andy and Sage, got the course. It was a bit of a shock to the system when I saw how it was laid out :laugh: :unsure:
Going to have look at it in Links and take it from there :dunno: :helpsmilie: :bookh:
Derrick
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Tried just now to create a new plot using the same APCD as I checked Sage's CRZ out with, using the same textures (and starting with hexagonal mesh), no defects at all even if making the elevations really steep.... Huh?...

Edit: Tried deleting all verts on the whole plot of Sage's CRZ except for the very bunker itself, re-saved and re-opened, no change, they still there...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

For those interested, here is my complete directory. See what you can figure out.
It's a 2 gig file so I am leaving it up for 2 days then it's gone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwru87je46uz4 ... s.zip?dl=0

Sage........ :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Adelade, I always use hexagonal mesh. No reason in particular, just never saw any need to change.
I didn't think to try creating a bunker on a new plot with Sage's textures, interesting that the issue is not there. Obviously not a texture or alpha issue.
linkster

Post by linkster »

I struck out on anything I tried to fix the problem.

I manipulated the verts and edges, played with the edge sharpness and found that sharpness=4 or -1 hides the edge hole problem but it looks terrible. I swapped out all the custom textures with stock textures but the problem persisted. Last I tried was to destructive delete the bad areas and stitch them back together with face create but the problem comes back when trying to make the bunker again.

I think braden1308 is right, once the corruption is in the course file there is no way to get it out.

Going by memory here, which can be bad, but I thought it was mentioned a few years back that regularly deleting the user.lib file in the APCD directory helps to prevent the texture properties corruption that creeps into the seam blends. I make it a habit to delete mine after every save. This prevents APCD from "merging" the texture properties in the user.lib file and course file which appears to create the corruption. My guess is that there is a small read/write discrepancy in the code when APCD was updated for seam blends. Knock wood, so far I have avoided any seam blend properties corruption in the APCD work I have done. I am wondering if the same corruption of texture properties eventually leads to more corruption in the course file? After having a peak at Sage's APCD directory and seeing a 1.1GB user.lib file, this kinda fits into my suspicions.
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno:
Hi Sage, I have spent quite a few hours on the problem you are having and it seems that what is causing the lines is the way the verts have been done. For starters I cleaned up all the verts and edges so that there were not to many converging on the same point. Next I defined the hole paths and added five tee boxes with one tee on each, I then planted just four pins on each green and did a V & S. The course was now playable and I could select any hole individually. I used my own textures and seam blended a hole on hole one, The lines were still there but only faint, I then went to hole two and did a seam blend, but as soon as I altered the V Wrap the program locked up three times on this one. I did another hole O.K but the lines were still there and stretching out the verts did nothing. The final attempt was to delete an entire bunker flatten the area and do a seam the way I do all my seams.
The results are below
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 1722 times
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_6.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1722 times
The one I did at the bottom was perfect so the only thing I can think of is that the verts were done on the other using the extrusion method, something I have never used, anybody any theory as to why this method could cause a problem ? and is there a fix ? :notworthy:

Derrick
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: I dont know how the last pic got in on the post :wallbash:
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

derricksummers wrote: September 12th, 2022, 11:29 pm :dunno: I dont know how the last pic got in on the post :wallbash:
I cleaned the post up for you Derrick. :smile: