Edge Defects

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Re: Edge Defects

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks Glenn,
Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Hi Sage
Hope you are not serious about packing in :nono: :notworthy:
I had your problem but only in a small area and just turning a few edges solved the problem.
I have been a member for many years and the posts that Glen mentioned would be worth following up about Alphas and textures not being compatable in some cases. I once had a seam blend that looked perfectly normal but when the ball rolled onto it it shot off like being thrown at a brick wall, I changed the Alpha and the problem was solved, I then experimented by leaving thr Alpha and just changing one of the textures in turn and it also solved the problem. Its worth trying
You could also try highlighting the seam - Select from face, and then delete the mapping and see what happens, if need be fill in with a plain texture.
The APCD comes up with all sorts of problems like the lines accross water, I have never solved this with changing textures but if I raise or lower the water level just a few inches it clears the lines, so this seems to be a vert problem and not a texture one
I have mentioned it a few times that I am not very well up with the working of the APCD so I do my best to keep things simple, all the seam blends I have done in the courses I have uploaded have been done just using the method I outlined in the Sticky at the top of the page, I have never done an extrusion or named any planer I just select the highest number that comes up and thats it
I am still struggling with designing as I am waiting for some tests on the carpul tunnel syndrom I have with my fingers, it took me ages to do this as after a short spell my fingers are like dead sticks.
Hope you can get it sorted
Looking back its amazing how many top designers are no longer active
All the best to everyone the world is in a bit af a mess
Derrick
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I'm just not doing much APCD wise right now..............We'll see about packing it in................????

Thanks Derrick................ :cheers1:

Sage...... :dunno:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Good to see you around again Derrick :cheers1:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:smile: Sage, I have a suggestion, why not upload the problem course as it is so anyone interested can have a look at it and if it gets sorted send it back the same way. My work as an underground electrician involved a lot of fault finding and I found the challenge very rewarding. What do you think ??
I am not surprised that you are having a break what you have achieved in the last few years is just amazing, It took me nearly a year to do just one course :notworthy: Look forward to your reply !
Another idea I was thinking about was that we could get together and make a Sticky stating what begginers should not do when starting a new course.The box of death is a good example. ? It could save a lot of lost work :thumbup:
Derrick
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Derrick,
I think the best way for current and upcoming designers to learn APCD with all it's pitfalls and advantages is to let them learn themselves and if they have a question or are stuck with something they can come here and find answers.
That was one long run on sentence......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's how I learned.
Trial and error are sometimes a good thing. Also it does not limit what someone is willing to try.
Not that I am not willing to help, I certainly am. And I am far from that good. I have just found a way to make my fictional courses look pretty good.

Sage..... :smile: :cheers1:
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:helpsmilie: :bookh: Everything I know today was learned the hard way by trial and error. The only thing that was around in those days was ARTS book which I still have. Seam Blends were my biggest problem. The other problem I have is a poor memory, In my late 30s and 40s I did a spell training as a classical pianist but I could learn how to play something but take the music away and I could not remember it. :laugh: :nono: :wallbash:
A bit dissapointed at not getting a look at your course. :dunno:
Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do
Derrick
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Derrick,
I sent you a private message with a link to the course last week or so...................It looks like you never read it.

Sage..... :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Dan, did you find anything out?

Sage, did you get it solved to any degree you were satisfied with?

Im somewhat curious to check out the alpha texture you used.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Here is the course for anyone to try...........
The bunker concerned is circled in magenta............
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy0xpr1uz3poo ... 0.zip?dl=0
Sage...... :cheers1: