Edge Defects

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Duck Hook

Re: Edge Defects

Post by Duck Hook »

The don't think the extrusion method caused this problem. There are known issues with shadows that tend to be more visible at certain angles ( for which there is no fix ) but I use the extrusion method exclusively to create bunkers and have next to no issues bar a couple of blurred faces here and there. IMO using the extrusion method is the only way to create a realistic looking bunker, you should give it a go Derrick.

:cheers1:
T
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: When I say I have never used it I have experimented with it but I found it was not very good for a bunker with sloping sides. You have to pull the verts outward as extrude is designed for a vertical face, and its just as easy to use the pen and put the vert were you want it in the first place.
I have done a few more tests on the bunkers and I have found that the only way to get rid of the lines is to delete the entire bunker and make a new one using the pen to place the verts, just out of interest I have done a few more pics, and for those who have not seen Sages course I have included the Layout which is very different and would be shame to lose it.
:notworthy:
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (149.83 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (933.42 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_4.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1972 times
One is with Sages textures and one with mine. I just hope someone can come up with a better solution than mine
Derrick
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I should clarify. When using extrude, I am only talking about the lip. The bunkers below were done with a double extrude and light textures and apart from a few blurred faces, there is not a problem.....
cr1.jpg
cr1.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1955 times
cr2.jpg
cr2.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1955 times
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

In case anyone is wondering, this is what it takes to get that look..... :scared:
cr4.JPG
cr4.JPG (290.98 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: That looks really nice and realistic. Every designer as there own way of doing things so if it works stick with it. When I have watched golf on TV I am amazed at the different types of bunker edges there are, so its up to the dsigner on how they want it to look.
Just one last point look at the work you have put in compared to mine :dunno:
Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_5.png (517.43 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
Thans anyway for the replies :thumbup: :notworthy:
Sage. Are you still with us ???? :yes:
dERRICK
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

lol. I know. It can be a chore if the terrain painter is being argumentive, but after a while it's not that difficult. The end result makes it worthwhile, but there is no right or wrong way to do it....It looks worse than it really is ----->
cr3.JPG
cr3.JPG (336.33 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I mean, extrusions are quick to make by themselves unless you bother going around and adjusting verts individually afterwards as well. However, a big part of the magic of Duck Hook's bunkers dont even show in those pictures. He puts a lot of work into splitting the dirt mappings per bunker into sections according to cardinal directions too. So they are even more impressive than they look, if you ask me :thumbup:

(Unless you found a simpler mapping technique that works in the end?)

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think Duck Hook mentioned that he does adjust the verts individually too for the sake of irregularity...
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

No mate, I tried fooling about with seperate mappings on certain faces to get rid of the blurred sections but gave it away as it was too much stuffing around for little gain.
There is nothing mysterious or hard to get that lip. I do put in a lot of verts to create a more ragged, natural looking lip and this also allows for more adjustment whether it be groups of verts or individual ones.

Just a couple of other things people may or may not be aware of ----->

I use a seperate planar mapping for the lips which has been rotated 90 degrees....
bl.JPG
bl.JPG (20.6 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
This is only added to the multiples ----->
bl4.JPG
bl4.JPG (28.98 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Also when all the mappings are done you get a visible edge line between the 2 lip extrusions ----->
bl1.JPG
bl1.JPG (164.89 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

I found if you select that ring of edges and set the sharpness to 4, the visible line magically disappears ----->
bl2.JPG
bl2.JPG (272.38 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
bl3.JPG
bl3.JPG (204.94 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

Most are probably aware of these steps but in case anybody wasn't sure, there you go
T
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Just an update on the tests I have been doing, I have been working on the theory that it is the verts in the bunker that is causing the problem with a possibility that the bottom two rows could have been done using the extrude method. How or why I have no idea because it is widly used with no problems. So based on this idea I decided to delete the bottom two rows of verts from all the bunkers on the course, I left the top one so I could keep the shape of the bunker. I then made the two seam paths using the pen and seam blended them, one with my textures and one with Sages . Pics below
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_6.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1894 times
Screenshot_7.png
Screenshot_7.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1894 times
:wallbash: :rant: :surrender: Looks like it could be a combination of Verts - Edges - Textures - Shadows and the program giving up :whistle: :yes:
:bookh:
Derrick
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Andy could you do another clean up with the top four pics ? I dont know what happened when I first submitted the post it said I could not use the site and nothing appeared in the post. Now its turned up ?
Thanks
It looks like the only way to solve this one is to delete the bunkers and have a fresh start. By the way just one last question, Have you lot ever thought of complicating things
:laugh: :nono: :wallbash: :naughty: :scared: :whistle: :surrender:
Derrick