Validate/Save

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Validate/Save

Post by sagevanni »

I don't know about anyone else, but I "validate/save" almost religiously every 10 minutes or so. Then I copy/paste that saved course into my backup directory. No mater how big the course gets or how long a val/save takes.

What does everyone else do.

I'm thinking of moving my backup directory to a USB drive just to be safe.......

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Re: Validate/Save

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Sage,
I have the automatic backup set for every 30 minutes and I save to a new file every 30 minutes or so, therefore I should only lose 15 minutes worth of work. Sometimes I save to a new file more often depending on what I am working on - usually things I don’t enjoy, like planting.
When I “complete” each hole I Validate and Save so that I can play the hole in Links. I usually delete the backup files after a few holes, - I delete the backup files for hole 1 when I start hole 3, etc. (I do keep the V and S files of each hole).
I leave the 3D work and the planting until the end.

Good luck with your new build.

Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I start a course and work on it until it's complete before I ever take it to Links for testing. I do a V&S about every half hour to 45 minutes and shut down and re-open the APCD. I do a "save as" with a new name in numerical sequence about every 2 hours. I save every 5th "SAVE AS" file to a backup folder on 2 different hard drives in case one of the drives experiences a fatal crash. I did this same thing while creating "The National" and am almost done with "The Wakonda Club". So far I'm up to 162 saves and have had a total of 4 crashes on Wakonda, all of them occurring in the same manner while in the planting stages. It won't be long now. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: :thumbup: I do a V/S about every 15 minutes but I do not
recommend that the auto Backup is used ? If this kicks in just when you
are doing a save it can cause problems. I have had the APCD lock up and
the file was no good after. After doing a spell of planting I transfer the
file into Links and have a look at what I have done. This also doubles as
a backup file if anything goes wrong. I use 3 different backup files
Derrick