Default Planar

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Default Planar

Post by Ian Wells »

I, inadvertently, deleted the Default Planar mapping before creating BallyHack, and when I came to add a grass texture I noticed the missing planar. I opened a new copy of the APCD with the Default Planer installed and then opened the course. I can now select the Default Planar but it is no longer the default choice from the drop down table - the first planar I created for an overhead is.
This means that when I create a seam blend I have to select the Default Planar for Texture 2 and Texture 3. This is not a major problem but with 2-300 mappings it would be nice if there is a way to reset the APCD.

Any ideas? :helpsmilie:

Ian
sagevanni

Re: Default Planar

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

Instead of opening the course in a new APCD, copy/paste the below highlighted files from the New APCD into the original APCD you made the course in.

It might work as it does for me with other APCD issues I have encountered................

Good Luck.........

Sage..... :cheers1:
Attachments
directory files.JPG
directory files.JPG (165.11 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference, it still makes the first mapping I made the default.

Isn't this why we love APCD :whistle:

Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Try deleting your Ballyhack planer. Then open the course again and re-create the Ballyhack planer. It should re-install with the same scale and have the regular default planer.

Just in case write down the scale and the location and you should be able to have it come back in where it was before.

Make back-ups first.

Sage.......... :cheers1:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
Unfortunately it isn't one planar:
Overhead Mappings.jpg
Overhead Mappings.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
As well as these, there are about 20-30 seam blends, all of which will have to be deleted and re-configured

I am sure that your suggestion will work, I just have to work out if doing what you suggest will cause me more work than leaving it as it is? (Most, if not all, of the planars have different values for the Move and Constrain Scale values for each one, and it took many hours to make them all line up accurately.)

Thank you for providing an answer as I had not thought about doing as you suggest.

Now should I or should I not? :surrender:

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I dont know if this will work for the seam blend mapping selection, but maybe?

If you have the 3D clone tool installed, you can choose a standard mapping associated with each texture (in the Texture Properties window, I believe). If you dont want to use the 3D clone tool otherwise, you can always uninstall it after doing the seamblending (if the "trick" works at all, that is).

3D clone tool is installed by pasting a modified .DLL file in place of one of the normal ones. To be able to uninstall, make a backup of the normal file and put it back in later on. I think it's the ApcdRC.dll one.

3D clone tool available from: viewtopic.php?p=3331#p3331
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Thank you - I think. :smile:

I'm afraid I do not understand what you mean. Are you saying that if I open the course in an APCD file that has the 3D clone tool installed it will automatically save each texture planar settings? Then do I delete all the mappings except the Default Planar and reopen the course in a new APCD? How do I re-install the texture planar settings that the clone tool has saved?

As you will have realised I know nothing about the APCD clone tool, nor much about the standard APCD. :laugh:

I bet you now wish that you didn't answer this post. :whistle:

As always a Adelade thanks for helping. :tiphat:

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

My idea is:
1. You install the 3D clone tool.
2. Make a Default Planar (unless you have it already).
3. Go into the Texture Properties for all the individual textures involved in the seamblends that you want Default Planar in (not the seamblend textures themselves, unless you can set a standard mapping for those too, but I bet you can only do it with normal textures(?)), and set the standard mapping for each one to the Default Planar.
4. Try seam blending a seam blend involving those textures. With some luck, the standard setting for Texture 2 and 3 will now have changed to the Default Planar.

If it didnt work, you can uninstall the 3D clone tool by replacing the new .DLL file with a backup of the old.

No need to delete any mappings (for this method).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
I have followed your instructions but it doesn't change anything - providing I followed correctly. When I open the textures they already have a standard mapping of Default Texture. I then created a new path and then a new Multiple. When I opened the Multiple Texture 2 and Texture 3 are still the same - OV13, the first planar that I mapped.
Thank you for trying. :thumbup:

Unless you or somebody else can come with an easy way to change it, I think I will just have to accept that each time I make a Seam blend I must change Texture 2 and Texture 3 to Default Planar. (It takes less that 10 seconds to change the two textures, which means for 3000 mappings an extra 8 hours.) Over 6-9 months of work is not so bad.

Thank you Adelade :cheers1: and thank you Sage. :cheers1:

Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I've tried deleting the "default" planer and it says I can not delete the default planer. It might be something else you deleted.

Sage..... :smile: