Can I Overlay a DEM File

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Kevin Fraser

Re: Can I Overlay a DEM File

Post by Kevin Fraser »

thunder - thanks for the heads up on SASplanet :cheers1: - has some topo maps and aerials that i wanted to use. Do you have a source for DEM's or was it a custom job?

danny - the USGS used to offer dem files for the entire US that could be imported and turned into a plot. Dont think you can get them anymore and i missed out on using Lidar generated plots - which i assume get converted and imported as an "APCD friendly" dem file. The dem files from the USGS were great for giving the general flow of the land but you still needed to tweek everything to look and play like the real course.
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

Here's where i get mine,

http://www.webgis.com/terr_us75m.html

I crop them with with the SASPlanet plots in Global mapper (Got to buy that one, or just Google it) that way the plot lines up exactly with the cropped DEM :smile:
Kevin Fraser

Post by Kevin Fraser »

Perfect! :notworthy:
“Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.”
― Dave Barry
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Kevin Fraser wrote: October 6th, 2019, 11:33 pm danny - the USGS used to offer dem files for the entire US that could be imported and turned into a plot. Dont think you can get them anymore and i missed out on using Lidar generated plots - which i assume get converted and imported as an "APCD friendly" dem file. The dem files from the USGS were great for giving the general flow of the land but you still needed to tweek everything to look and play like the real course.
Thanks for the information Kevin. I've never even noticed that the APCD had that option to import DEM's. You and Thunder taught me something. I'll check it out.
:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thunder91166 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 12:07 am Here's where i get mine,

http://www.webgis.com/terr_us75m.html

I crop them with with the SASPlanet plots in Global mapper (Got to buy that one, or just Google it) that way the plot lines up exactly with the cropped DEM :smile:
Hello again Thunder...

I wanted to check out how the DEM's work, so I thought I would play around with The Wakonda Club in Des Moines, and compare it to my Google Earth elevation settings. I went to the website you suggested and got a DEM for Des Moines, in Polk County Iowa, and saved it to my hard drive. Next I opened the APCD and selected IMPORT, and then browsed to it and selected it. The APCD gives me an abort pop-up message saying "wrong file format". It shows up as a .DEM file on my hard drive. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

I must be a 7.5 DEM, I'll see what i can get for ya, It's simple for me but hard to explain 3 different programs

Edit: Looked into it, Polk County is Incomplete Sorry
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thunder91166 wrote: October 7th, 2019, 5:53 am I must be a 7.5 DEM, I'll see what i can get for ya, It's simple for me but hard to explain 3 different programs

Edit: Looked into it, Polk County is Incomplete Sorry
Seems odd they would put up a download files for it. Hmmmm. Thanks Thunder. Much appreciated... :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Thunder91166

Post by Thunder91166 »

Danny, (and all) Here is a couple of Examples of how a DEM Import will Look with an Overlay.

https://mega.nz/#!yzJw3SpK!cFetQsY52fME ... VUbmHyUqgA
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thunder91166 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:14 am Danny, (and all) Here is a couple of Examples of how a DEM Import will Look with an Overlay.

https://mega.nz/#!yzJw3SpK!cFetQsY52fME ... VUbmHyUqgA
Thanks Thunder. I downloaded a DEM from someplace else and imported it into the APCD and took a look at how the plot looked. Fascinating!
Thanks for the examples. I'll check them out. :thumbup:

Dan
Completed Courses