Technical question about Chapultepec Golf Course

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
MrT

Technical question about Chapultepec Golf Course

Post by MrT »

This course gives me a chance to ask another question that deals with the Physics behind the game.

Chapultepec is a course located just outside of Mexico City and is interesting to play, albeit the greens are incredibly frustrating (in real life and in Links). Whether it is more so in real life or in Links may be open for debate. But that is a story for another time.

The question is instead related to the fact that Chapultepec has very long (and narrowish) fairways, but it is also located at almost 8000 feet (about 2400 meters) in elevation. When I spoke to someone from Mexico City who was a graduate student with me in the US, I mentioned the course and the long fairways. He replied that I am correct, but in that altitude, balls travel quite a bit further than at sea level.

Is that something that can be corrected when designing a course, i.e. allow balls to travel further due to a lower gravity?
gene_golf

Re: Technical question about Chapultepec Golf Course

Post by gene_golf »

To account for thin air of high altitude causing shots to go further---the simplest solution would be to ignore real tees that were set at yardage of scorecard and compensate by playing from a shorter tee perhaps 10 percent or more shorter than what the far back tee is to provide more realistic play for this course. That is if not utilizing the pro distance mod that I somehow have lost which had driver going 305 yards max setting instead of 285 yards max setting. With this mod for shorter shots somehow I lost feeling for shorter shots and chipping, so decided to keep those shorter clubs at regular distance instead of powering all clubs to go further when in past used the pro distance mod.
MrT

Post by MrT »

@ gene_golf
Are you talking about this?

Code: Select all

http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/prodistance.htm
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

Typed pro distance mod into search and recently only Adelade had posted knowing about pro distance mod in this post near the very end. Hopefully someone that has mod will share it, so that you might see how quirky it is to use.

Re: Chambers Bay Update - Beta Available Here
Post by Adelade » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:02 am

TL;DR: Hesitating over whether the Ladies tees are still too easy or not. Looking for opinions to help me decide whether to bother making a tournament version or not (I dont want to, but it depends heavily on what people think).

I want to address one more thing. I've been somewhat back and forth over whether to maybe, just mayyybe make a separate tournament version as well... I feel like the course still plays fairly easy from the new Ladies tees... There are a lot of tee areas that would enable the course to play even further, and there are actually four holes that can play as either par 4 or par 5 (and have even been used both ways in real life), so there is a lot of potential for different setups. However, there would be a lot of complications and annoyances about making a tournament version (I could literally write several pages about all my thoughts about it ... but I'll try to make it shorter), which makes me hope that everyone will be content with these Ladies tees. That being said, I would very much like to hear opinions about it. If several people would highly appreciate a tournament version, then I would be much more motivated, and would at least strongly consider it.

First of all, all the tees except for Ladies ones represent well how the course plays on ordinary days for ordinary members, and I didnt want to ruin that, so course par has to stay 72 for the main version. Secondly, the course file is an absolute monster to work with in APCD. Everything loads really slowly, and each time I make any kind of save, it requires over 3 minutes of loading before I can continue with anything. And there is the constant fear of APCD crashing unless regularly saving, especially with courses that load slowly... It is painful. I honestly really dont want to make a second version unless it feels necessary or if there are several people who would appreciate it a lot. (Also, sidenote - if I make a tournament version, I would have to edit hole previews again in order for them to not be completely wrong... something I really wouldnt look forward to, but I dont think I'd be comfortable not doing it, so I know I would end up doing it anyway...)

So I've been trying hard to make the Ladies tees the best possible compensation instead. I have pondered a lot over which holes I could potentially make even longer, and I can only arrive at the conclusion that I already have them at the spots I think are best / most fun. Many holes, even when having so many tee areas available, lack them in the spots where I ideally would want them, and I just dont feel like building new tee areas or moving them. I also want the Ladies tees to function well with Windy as well, since I think this course is exceptionally well suited for that condition, considering the setting, large fairways, and the fact that hole lengths clearly are designed with the most common wind direction in mind. The only thing I'd like to change really, is turning hole 1 into a par 4. 4th could perhaps swap to par 4 as well, but that would require a slightly shorter yardage for it to be reasonable, and while that would make it harder to score in relation to par, it would actually make it easier to score under 60 or 70 for example... 13th could perhaps be turned into a 3-shot par 5 by using the tees further back, but I feel like the hole plays more fun as a tough par 4... So am I gonna make a tournament version just for the sake of those few changes? Sure, I could replant all the tees then, which would probably also enable some brutal tees that could be fun for people who use the PRO DISTANCE MOD, and overall just more options for pro play tees, so that would certainly be a bonus, but Im not sure how much people care, or whether anyone does at all. So... with all that in mind, if you would like to see a tournament version, I would love to hear about it.
MrT

Post by MrT »

I followed the link I posted earlier and downloaded the .exe file and opened it, but it does not work. It complains about some .dll file missing or something like that. The good news is that it adds a file and a new icon for the desktop to launch the game in Pro mod.. It does not work, but it caused no damage to my regular game.
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

MrT wrote: April 12th, 2022, 4:15 pm I followed the link I posted earlier and downloaded the .exe file and opened it, but it does not work. It complains about some .dll file missing or something like that. The good news is that it adds a file and a new icon for the desktop to launch the game in Pro mod.. It does not work, but it caused no damage to my regular game.
COPYING YOUR POST FROM LINK THAT YOU CREATED ABOUT PRO DISTANCE MOD. NO SUCCESS FOR ME AS I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL GENERAL FILE PROGRAMS OF LINKS TO PUT THIS MOD INTO AND GETTING THE VERY SAME ERROR MESSAGE EACH TIME THAT YOU ENCOUNTERED BEFORE GETTING THIS APP TO WORK.

Re: Links Pro Mod
Post by MrT » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:33 pm
Well... it seems to work now... I am hitting longer!! Hooray...
MrT

Post by MrT »

What worked for me was to put it in the Links2003 top directory. Before I was putting the file inside the Links2003/Links2003. That did not work.
Then I did this and tried to run and did not work, but I tried again and it worked. I am seeing the new distances and I have now two ways to start the program Links MIII and LInks 2003 Pro Distance, so I can choose. However, as they said in that link.. Cannot change players created under the old regime. I had to create a new player completely.