Closing the gap between reflective water and soil

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Re: Closing the gap between reflective water and soil

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
After flattening all the verts associated with the connected body of water, the problem was fixed. I have made checks using random views of all the areas where there is water and found no problems. I am confident that when I make my next detail check of the course it will be without this problem. For anybody who is not familiar with the course the image below will help to understand the area of the "connected body" is indicated in red or whatever colour it is:
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg (322.22 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

As mentioned earlier I did make all verts associated with a connected body of water the same elevation when I set the initial elevations. (Even I know that static water is flat :smile:)
I had checked that all the verts of the water texture in the immediate area of where I had the problem were the same elevation, but obviously all verts of the whole body of water must be the same elevation.
II certainly had the same problem on Wade Hampton, but tried to disguise the problem. With Victoria National the mass of water meant this was unfeasible, therefore I came to the experts, and Sage resolved my problem.
If there are any problems that still exist I am sure I can rely on members playing the Beta version to inform me of them.
Thanks for the reply,
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

Your plot and everything so far looks awesome.......keep up the good work.....!!!!!

It looks like you have some nice 3D work going on too.....!!!! I can not do intricate 3D.

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Great to hear that it was solvable! :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I have looked at all the areas where I have the water, and I can safely say that in 98% of the places the interface between water and soil/grass is perfectly acceptable.
There are a few areas where there is a slight visual imperfection. I have looked at these areas in detail and I am unable to see any obvious reason why it should be different.
It is certainly not the problem I had that started this discussion and perhaps the comment made by Adelede
I think it depends a lot on the exact viewing angle and the shape of the ground
may be valid. Unless anyone has any thoughts, I will put it down to an APCD glitch. :dunno:

This is typical of the imperfections:
Hole9 view across water.jpg
Hole9 view across water.jpg (243.05 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It looks acceptable to me!

Pete
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

It looks like it might be the texture you have for the shoreline. Is it a seam blend....????
Viewing some textures or blends at a distance can cause this to happen.

Want me to take a look.....?????

Sage....... :cheers1:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
Thank you for the offer of help, but the build of the interface is exactly the same around the entire water-way, (I am really lazy :sleep: ):

Rough (or deep rough)
SB (Rough (or deep rough) to Soil)
Soil
Water

The elevation of each interface is more or less the same.

This is why I am becoming more swayed by Adelade's thought regarding viewing angle.

I only posted this last photo to "complete" the discussion. If there is an answer I will make the changes to the course build, if not the few areas with the slight imperfection does not bother me. (and Pete will back me up :smile:)
Thank you again :tiphat:

I was very interested to read your reply to Mr T's question regarding the details of how "the team" works. I don't know how it originated, but it sure as hell works. :clapping:

Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

I have been working with Leo Allen for over a year or more, ( Leo correct me if I'm wrong ) checking my work. Leo does a bang up job checking and making sure things work.

I believe I approached Glenn When I was needing planting help on the Sherwood course I had finished. Glenn gratefully accepted and the rest is history.

A heartfelt thanks from me to Leo and Glenn.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without them the courses we have collaborated on would not exist unless someone else did them.

Sage............ :smile: :cheers1:
gator

Post by gator »

The first course Sage sent me for testing was 'Riverwinds Golf Club' on 5/23/2018 (thank goodness for email). We are rapidly approaching 4 years of Sage allowing me to review his courses.

I cannot say it enough how enjoyable it has been working with Sage and now Glenn. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Leo
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I had no idea it has been that long................and so very enjoyable Leo.....!!!!!

Thanks for everything you have done.

Sage...... :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: :cheers1: