Cottonwood Hills Country Club, Hutchinson, KS

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
GoesForIt

Cottonwood Hills Country Club, Hutchinson, KS

Post by GoesForIt »

https://www.hutchnews.com/story/news/lo ... 278986007/

Wanna buy a golf course? What an interesting story this is and I intend to preserve it for Links even if it isn't preserved IRL. The course is a Nick Faldo design. Construction started in 2005. It opened for a time and then closed for lack of profit. It was sold and refurbished and looked real nice when I was back home for my 50th HS reunion in 2015. Since then it has again been shutdown and as the article says is for sale. In 2022, a wildfire went across it and I doubt it will ever come back now. The idea was a planned community in and around the course but Hutchinson elites are already members of Prairie Dunes (Links course by Steve Avery). The clubhouse has always been a double-wide trailer so that was easy for me in APCD.

I'm ready for some Alpha testing. Single pin position, lacking full vegetation and no seam blending yet. There are no Strackaline maps for this baby, but I took some pictures back in 2015 so I think the greens are reasonably accurate. It's pretty flat (it is Kansas after all), but the bunker postioning and rockwalls are pretty cool.

If you want to alpha test, please pm me an email address. I'll use WeTransfer to send in about a week after I hopefully have a few names.
CottonWoodHillsEvolution.jpg
CottonWoodHillsEvolution.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Jimbo

Re: Cottonwood Hills Country Club, Hutchinson, KS

Post by Jimbo »

You know that when it comes to nitpicking...and clubhouse sounds intriguing...😄
GoesForIt

Post by GoesForIt »

Jimbo wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:25 am You know that when it comes to nitpicking...and clubhouse sounds intriguing...😄
I was not kidding on that.
CottonwoodClubhouse.JPG
CottonwoodClubhouse.JPG (59.93 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

EXCELLENT!!!!!😉

BTW, I looked for their webite-all I could find was their Facebook page-and I found something VERY interesting.
That's all I'll say!
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I played it a couple of times. Interesting course, one that needed to be played more than once to learn your way around. Access to the course was difficult if you didn't know the area. Dirt/Gravel access road was not maintained very well, and was nearly impassible after a rain. I think the novelty of having a Faldo course in south central Kansas wore off when nothing else was done.
No matter where you go, there you are.
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

Any updates on this? I played one round on the alpha CRZ that was emailed to some folks. Seems pretty good so far. It won't be complete until that 3D clubhouse is added. It's quite the beauty :)
CottonwoodHillsClubHouse.png
CottonwoodHillsClubHouse.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1772 times
migolfer

Post by migolfer »

I couldn't share this in a private message, so I will here. The rocks on #4 are unforgiving, see what happened to my approach:
Cottonwood-bounce-hole-4.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Stole this photo from the Fecebook page:
(If this is #4, the rocks there are a vertical wall rather than what the CRZ has now)
(of course, I do realize this course is still a WIP...)
hole4.png
hole4.png (397.84 KiB) Viewed 1771 times