custom objects for the APCD

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ChuckH

custom objects for the APCD

Post by ChuckH »

Is there a place or depository for 2d and 3d objects to be used with APCD? I'm thinking of hole signs, golf carts, various clubhouses, etc. other than the stock APCD objects. Thanks.
Danny D

Re: custom objects for the APCD

Post by Danny D »

ChuckH wrote: December 29th, 2021, 9:12 pm Is there a place or depository for 2d and 3d objects to be used with APCD? I'm thinking of hole signs, golf carts, various clubhouses, etc. other than the stock APCD objects. Thanks.
Hi Chuck.

Here's what I know on the subject. I'll try to explain...

I had an idea about creating a new object library with some new objects, such as what you are asking about. I even wanted to create a fleet of cars to plant in the parking lots. Unfortunately, the software related to the APCD is a really old technology and it requires special software to be able to import the 3D objects into the APCD. Not saying it just can't be done. Just saying I can't find anyone with the skills and the right software that is willing to take it on. I even gave it a try myself, but soon learned I would have had better luck launching a rocket to mars. :pcwhack: It was so far over my head I gave up in frustration. I have even posted some messages on a couple of 3D sites offering to pay someone to create some of the objects.

There are lots of 3D sites out there that give away free 3D objects. Problem is, there's none in the format that the APCD uses. It's simply too old and no longer being used. I understand some of them can be converted, but that takes me back to, can't find anyone with the software and knowledge willing to do it. :sad:

With all that said, most of the designers build their own signs and small 2D and 3D objects out of terrain. The difference is, 2D signs are like a flat picture and they will always rotate to face the player, no matter what side you are on. 3D objects are stationary and don't rotate. To make a hole sign for example, you build it with terrain and position it in the direction you want it to face, and then create a sign texture and apply it to the flat face of your sign and create a planar for it and face it in the direction the sign is pointed.

Hope that made sense and gave you an idea where we stand on that subject.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added