I should have watched a tutorial video!

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Lez Marwick

I should have watched a tutorial video!

Post by Lez Marwick »

I normally don't lose more than half an hours work because I make sure that I save regularly so that if I suffer any crashes I don't have to redo too much. In fact, back when I was using APCD regularly I don't think I had any crashes on my last 4 or 5 courses at all! Updating other people's courses was more problematic though and I've had more issues with those because the files can already have become corrupted before you even start working on them. Crouching Beast, the last course I updated was a perfect example, and there were areas on this course that just wouldn't accept planting at all so I had to just leave them as they were. There was another course I updated that would crash within a few seconds if I tried to move the screen with the 2D objects visible.
Yesterday though it was completely my own fault because I didn't bother to watch my own video on adding crowds as it was one of the few things that I could remember how to do! :wallbash:
However, I had forgotten that the course could easily become corrupt when planting crowds even though you may not suffer from an actual crash.
I often just overwrite my previous save during a single session to avoid creating hundreds of files and this is normally not too risky, but I'd completely forgotten about the 'crowds in the sky' bug that once it's happened cannot be repaired... there is literally no way to delete them. I only found out I had this issue when I let an AI playtest my work many hours later and I found I had a large crowd hovering over the ocean! The last save I could go back to was one I made early in the day when I was still sorting out the sound planting.

Anyway, after a nights sleep and a pleasant morning walk I'm just about ready this afternoon to start at it again!! :thumbup:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen