Unable to open course after planting crash

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Adelade

Re: Unable to open course after planting crash

Post by Adelade »

Interesting to hear all the experiences, I guess it is mostly random or at least apparently random. I rarely have crashes with trees, moreso after planting grasses, guess it depends on methods. I've also had the crash with (accidentally) clicking terrain painter just outside border of plot, but it didnt destroy my course file. All crashes I've had while doing anything with edges have always been ones where I could use ctrl+s to not lose anything. I have been worrying about the ctrl+s during freeze-ups/crashes possibly causing problems with the current file, in theory, like it sounded like you Duck Hook also were, but it has never caused any problems for me so Im always gonna try it when possible. I make sure not to close the program too quickly after pressing it though.

In the end the main takeaway has to be to 'save as' with a new filename as often as possible :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Adelade wrote: October 29th, 2021, 7:34 am In the end the main takeaway has to be to 'save as' with a new filename as often as possible :thumbup:
Amen to that brother.... :thumbup:

also learnt something new here. I have never experienced a crash while doing terrain work. While constantly saving doing planting work I would hardly ever save while doing terrian work. Hmm, that will change now...thanks Dan :thumbup: :laugh:

:cheers1:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I have done the same with the terrain painter outside the edge of the plot. I have had it happen a couple of times, so when I get that close I just split the edge and move the new vert. Much safer.

Glenn

BTW...

I think I have crashed this program in so many ways and lost the files I had been working on that I have gotten to the point where I have so many backup files on my laptop that it can get somewhat crowded, usually around 40 different backups per course. Another thing that I had happen was during a backup of my files to an external hard drive I experienced a power surge, during which I lost everything on my computer and my backup drive. I still use a backup drive but also use a program called idrive that everything from all my computers is backup up in the cloud......what the heck is the cloud anyway? :cheers1:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

braden1308 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:03 pm I have done the same with the terrain painter outside the edge of the plot. I have had it happen a couple of times, so when I get that close I just split the edge and move the new vert. Much safer.

Glenn

BTW...

I think I have crashed this program in so many ways and lost the files I had been working on that I have gotten to the point where I have so many backup files on my laptop that it can get somewhat crowded, usually around 40 different backups per course. Another thing that I had happen was during a backup of my files to an external hard drive I experienced a power surge, during which I lost everything on my computer and my backup drive. I still use a backup drive but also use a program called idrive that everything from all my computers is backup up in the cloud......what the heck is the cloud anyway? :cheers1:
Only 40??? My God man, I'm on "save as" 268 right now. I'll easily have 300 "save as" files on a course. I've had too many crashes myself, to the point where I save often. lol! Actually, I do a "save as" about every 1 or 2 hours, depending how much I've done in a session. The more verts and edge work I do, the more often I "save as"... :whistle:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
alarduran

Post by alarduran »

I got used to have two files of a course, saving alternatively over each one after 8-10 minutes.
I save the changes I am making on Course_A every 2-3 minutes, but after 8-10 min I save it AND immediately I save it AS Course_B and go on working on this one, saving it every 2-3 minutes. After another 8-10 min I save it AND immediately I save it AS Course_A and go on working on this one.
This way if APCD crashes (it's not really a question of "if" but "when", sigh...) and corrupts the file you are working on, you still will have a working copy of it from 8-10 minutes ago.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Danny D wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:29 pm
braden1308 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:03 pm I have done the same with the terrain painter outside the edge of the plot. I have had it happen a couple of times, so when I get that close I just split the edge and move the new vert. Much safer.

Glenn

BTW...

Only 40??? My God man, I'm on "save as" 268 right now. I'll easily have 300 "save as" files on a course. I've had too many crashes myself, to the point where I save often. lol! Actually, I do a "save as" about every 1 or 2 hours, depending how much I've done in a session. The more verts and edge work I do, the more often I "save as"... :whistle:

Dan
I start my save as files mostly after I start planting, I usually don't get too worried when I am doing my course layouts and blends
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

While working on Victoria National 15 minutes ago the file was corrupted while I was modifying a seam blend. I think APCD was making a automatic save when the save didn't end. After quitting the file size had doubled (55222 to 110391). Fortunately I am still on automatic backup of 15 minutes (plus regular "save as" every 60 minutes) so I only lost 15 minutes work, but it still so frustrating having to redo work. :wallbash:
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

I have had that happen many times. I back-up like you and even more. Pays to have back-ups.

Sage...... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Ian Wells wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:00 pm While working on Victoria National 15 minutes ago the file was corrupted while I was modifying a seam blend. I think APCD was making a automatic save when the save didn't end. After quitting the file size had doubled (55222 to 110391). Fortunately I am still on automatic backup of 15 minutes (plus regular "save as" every 60 minutes) so I only lost 15 minutes work, but it still so frustrating having to redo work. :wallbash:
Ian
Turning off the auto save was one of the first things I was told to do by experienced designers as it can cause all sorts of issues depending on what you are doing when it kicks in. Crashes are obvious, but other issues may sneak in undetected. I'd highly recommend that anyone turn this 'useful' feature off and just get used to regularly saving their course manually.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks Lez.......I'm doing it now.

Sage..... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.