Older Course Classics- Seminole and National Golf Links in NY?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Jimbo

Re: Older Course Classics- Seminole and National Golf Links in NY?

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Duglas...don't worry about reposting the same topic...we all do it-the older we get the more often...
...what was I saying?😉
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

i think Dorse had an elevation map for one or two of these.

I was just thinking tonight. I can't give up requesting these 2 courses. I just can't. I owe it to the ghosts of golfers past.

Doug

:thumbup:
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Still request these
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I already have the dem for National Golf Links, not sure when I will be able to start it though. Seminole is with Dorse and I don't know if anyone has heard from him.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Just thinking out loud (stand back!😄) but when I see posts from our designers I got an idea...
We have limited number of designer here any of whom can do a first class job on any real course...
BUT
I've seen posts from many designers saying, to the effect that "I was working on the course too" or "I had that course on my old computer".
Here's a suggestion-if the designers were to post the real courses that they were working or were on their "bucket list" then and posted them as ALPHA courses...then we'd be able to avoid duplication of real courses and the designers could combine their talents before putting the BETA in the hands of You-Know-Who.
...just a thought...fire away...
linkster

Post by linkster »

Glenn has one of my early version DEM imports for National Golf Links. I offered to do a more detailed and accurate terrain import when he gets around to it. I just downloaded a 1 meter USGS DEM for Seminole. If anyone wants the terrain import done just give me a shout.

I can do a course terrain to the same standards as Tobacco Road fairly quickly. If there is interest in those I will do it. I did a terrain import for Pebble Beach over the weekend just to have a look around in game.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I wouldn’t mind taking on Seminole also, it’s just which would you like first. I also have a backlog of Sages courses to plant
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Probably Seminole first and then National.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

This post quoted below, by Eric Dorsey, about his in-progress version of Seminole (and Winged Foot West, which already got passed on and completed) seems like something that could be good to consider, for anyone who is thinking about diving into making a completely new version of it. Of course, if someone wants to start a completely new version, more power to them(!), but IMHO the pictures we were shown by the in-progress version looked pretty nice! (In case anyone is wondering, Animal has still not come back from his hiatus.)
dorse72 wrote: June 16th, 2022, 5:02 pm I have let ya'll down, I need to finish Seminole and Winged Foot, I will try my very best to finish these this winter. I had a big, luxury kitchen remodel come my way (I build kitchen cabs and furniture) that will be taking most of the year, an opportunity I couldn't pass up, on top of my boy trying to get a college scholarship playing 36 hole tournaments almost every week and he can't do that alone. So, if I get these started up again, I will knock them out. I will need help doing the Seminole clubhouse though, which I think I sent to Animal I think it was, but haven't seen it come back.
Again, my apologies, I hate to leave projects unfinished. The APCD is so damn archaic, its just silly, so static, I just don't enjoy the end results anymore, there are so many other great rendering software out there now - but I will try to persevere. Give me one more year and if i dont have them out, I will pass them on, I promise.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Haven’t heard anything from Dorse in close to a year, I wouldn’t expect anything in the near future. He could pop up at anytime, but you never know. I don’t think it would hurt to start Seminole. He also had some computer issues, that’s why I did winged foot, I can’t say if the problem he had affected his version of Seminole