Course merge procedure

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Duck Hook

Course merge procedure

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi all

I have forgotten the correct procedure to use the apcd course merge function to merge course master and slave files. Can anyone please remind me the correct way to do this, I am trying but am having no luck.
Thanks
Todd
Ian Wells

Re: Course merge procedure

Post by Ian Wells »

Todd,
I know nothing about course merge. The only time I have seen merge used within APCD is for the APCD clone tool.

If it is the APCD clone then I have copied what I received from somebody kind enough to help me: (If it's not this then please ignore.)

-_______________________________________________________________________________________
First make a copy of your latest course version just in case.....

Open up APCD Clone tool version and in it open up the copy of the course.
Select File/Save Master and save as MASTER.crz (if you can't see this option under File then you do not have the Clone Tool version of the APCD open)

At this point I usually close the APCD Clone and then re-open it.
Find and open MASTER.crz.
You can now create your 3D objects as normal. BUT ............. DO NOT MOVE ANY OTHER VERTS OR CHANGE ANY COURSE TEXTURES/PROPERTIES during this process - only the object added since the Master file was saved should be worked on.
At any point during your building of objects you can save - I usually save as S1 but any filename is ok. You can re-open this file and do more work and then save as S1 again at any time.
Once you've finished your 3D object and saved as S1 you can then move the  whole object as one (by selecting all verts) to a new location (I usually keep them all close together at this point ... but no so close that verts overlap - they should be treated as separate objects) and save as S2. Do this (move the object) as many times as you need copies of the object. ONLY MOVE YOUR 3D OBJECT DURING THIS PROCESS.

A word of warning - sometimes things do not go to plan and it is no fun to do 15 moves and saves over 2 to 3 hours only to find the second file and every one after was faulty. I usually do 4 or 5 saves and then do the merge to check there are no faulty saves.

Once you have all (or a few) cloned files (S1, S2, S3, S4 etc) go to File/Merge and fill in the necessary fileds by selecting those files as such:.
Master Reference will be the MASTER.crz file you created first.
Merge File(s) will be all the files containing your object (S1, S2, S3 .. just select all the files you want to merge with the master).
New Master will be a filename of your choosing (just NOT MASTER.crz)
Click Merge.

Once the merge is complete, and if all has gone to plan when you open up your new master it should contain the same object in all the locations you moved it to.

Ian
Duck Hook

Re: Course merge procedure

Post by Duck Hook »

Thank you Ian. Yes, that is what I was after. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Todd
:cheers1: