OB markers

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
DM565

OB markers

Post by DM565 »

Hello all,

I'm working on a course and would like to add some white OB markers. Does anyone have any or know where I can get some?

Thanks,
David Moore
Danny D

Re: OB markers

Post by Danny D »

DM565 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 5:25 pm Hello all,

I'm working on a course and would like to add some white OB markers. Does anyone have any or know where I can get some?

Thanks,
David Moore
Hi David...

Here's one. When you start planting it, lock it's size to 2.50 feet.

Let me toss in a little planting pointer. Many times during rounds of Links, I would land near a 2D object, such as a ball washer, or trash can, just as an example, and they would be way do big. If crowds were tuned on, or you are standing next to it, it might be 6 feet tall. I myself did that during my learning stages. The APCD does not offer the correct size for objects. It is up to the designer to size objects properly. Here's a simple way to get them right.
First, plant a "tournament official" next to where you want to plant an object. The tournament official, by default, is already realistically sized. Next plant the OB stake (use the OB stake I sent you for a test). Set it's size and plant it near the official. Now get back and eye them up and see if they look normal size next to each other. If not, delete it, resize it, and plant it again. Once you are happy with the size, click the little box to mark it as "locked". Next delete the tournament official. You can use this method for anything that needs to be sized, including buildings, bushes, ball washers, trash cans, etc...

Here's an OB stake. I added a Jpg preview because the message board wont display TGA's

OB marker preview.jpg
OB marker preview.jpg (2.29 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

Download this TGA and add it to your planting set.
misc055A.btc.zip
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
DM565

Re: OB markers

Post by DM565 »

Thanks Danny.

Yeah when I first started planting I put in a couple of 3D restrooms and sheds. They looked fine to me. Then I rewatched Lez's video on planting and he suggested the same thing: plant a person and scale according to them. It was a good help because the restroom doors were about 12 feet high, lol!! :oops:

Thanks for the tga file. Now I've got to watch Lez's video on how to add to the planting set...again. I've seen all his videos but a lot of them didn't apply to the task I was working on at that moment so they didn't stick with me.

David Moore