Can't add hole previews

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
DM565

Can't add hole previews

Post by DM565 »

Hello all,

My name is David Moore and I'm working on creating my old home course in APCD. I'm pretty far along and will need some beta testers soon.

However, I created my hole previews just like Lez's videos and saved them as jpgs. But when I try to add the hole preview in APCD it says it can't open the jpg file. I made them 298x500 pixels. I'll attach one to this message and see if anyone else has any luck with them or can tell me why APCD doesn't like them.

Also, I'm looking for OB posts that I can add to my course. Does anyone have any or know a course I can take them from?

Thanks,
David Moore
Attachments
Hole 1.jpg
Hole 1.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
Jimbo

Re: Can't add hole previews

Post by Jimbo »

Hi David-I'm not a designer (yet-I'm the "Nit Picker") but I'm sure that I speak for the community when I say "welcome-". There are never enough designers! :clapping:
DM565

Post by DM565 »

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been playing Links since the 90s and still enjoy it. My home course as a kid, Northwood CC in Lawrenceville, GA, closed in 2019 so I decided to bring it back to life in APCD. This is my first course and the learning curve with APCD is VERY steep. I watched ALL Lez's videos and they helped tremendously. I've done a lot with the course and am almost to the point of needing some testers. I think it is playable but short as most real courses are in Links. However, I did play it from the Back tees with all Hard settings and no mulligans. I shot +29!! After I get feedback from players on my current version (version 2) I will try another version that is longer for the Pro and Champ Links players.

David Moore
gator

Post by gator »

David,

Do you mind sharing what software package you are making your hole previews in?

The reason I ask, the one's I have been making end up being in the 40-60KB range each when finalized as a jpg. The one you attached is 155KB. Not sure why that would matter unless there is something different your software is doing. Most of mine are done in MS Paint while others that involve png images I'm adding are done in MS Picture It Premium 10 as png and then saved as jpg for importation into APCD. Try opening up your jpg in Paint and doing a save as jpg in Paint to a different file name and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Leo
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

DM565 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:19 pm Hello all,

My name is David Moore and I'm working on creating my old home course in APCD. I'm pretty far along and will need some beta testers soon.

However, I created my hole previews just like Lez's videos and saved them as jpgs. But when I try to add the hole preview in APCD it says it can't open the jpg file. I made them 298x500 pixels. I'll attach one to this message and see if anyone else has any luck with them or can tell me why APCD doesn't like them.

Also, I'm looking for OB posts that I can add to my course. Does anyone have any or know a course I can take them from?

Thanks,
David Moore
Hi David...

Please forgive me for my lack of technical terms when it comes to graphic images. I can tell you of one of my experiences a few years ago when one of our members named "Still Linksing" helped me out with some hole previews. The hole preview images he created for me for Links wouldn't work for me either. I received a similar message about them not working. It seems he saved them in a slightly higher enhanced resolution which was not compatible with Links requirements. I mentioned it to him and he saved them in a standard format, and then they worked just fine. I would suggest saving them in a standard non-enhanced format. I'm sorry I can't give you the technical terms, but that's the general idea of how to fix them. They are not in any special format, so should be easy to fix.

You can find OB stakes in the 2001 Planting Set. If you don't know how to add them to your APCD Planting set, let me know and I'll go into more detail.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

DM565 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:55 pm Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been playing Links since the 90s and still enjoy it. My home course as a kid, Northwood CC in Lawrenceville, GA, closed in 2019 so I decided to bring it back to life in APCD. This is my first course and the learning curve with APCD is VERY steep. I watched ALL Lez's videos and they helped tremendously. I've done a lot with the course and am almost to the point of needing some testers. I think it is playable but short as most real courses are in Links. However, I did play it from the Back tees with all Hard settings and no mulligans. I shot +29!! After I get feedback from players on my current version (version 2) I will try another version that is longer for the Pro and Champ Links players.

David Moore
I'm still trying to get my feet wet (it is indeed a very steep learning curve). With the help of the best designers on this side of the pond I finally got the one course that I've been bugging them seemingly forever -St. George's in Toronto...now I'm looking at the other courses of Stanley Thompson-but I'm not releasing anything until I'm happy-and it's received the blessing of the Three Wise Men!
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi David, just saying in case you didn't know but you can remove that blue outline around the hole if you wish.
Cheers
T
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Some newer versions of photo/art programs such as Photoshop now save jpg header information in a format that is not compatible with APCD. If you load them into Microsoft Paint though, and then just save them again they should be fine. Unfortunately this was not an issue when I made the Youtube videos so it is not covered in them. Splash screens will also have the same problem.
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
DM565

Post by DM565 »

Hello everyone,

I created these hole previews in the latest version of Photoshop Elements 2021. I will try and open and resave in MS Paint and see if that does the trick.

Jimbo, I will take your suggestion and remove the blue hole outline lines. Can I do this in the hole preview in Links or do I need to do it in Elements?

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, especially Lez. I watched all your videos, several more than once, so having you make a suggestion is like having a professor help with your final project!! :notworthy:

David Moore
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

David, in the top cam view in Links, you need to uncheck the 'Highlight Hole' option

T