Checklist and validation

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
DM565

Checklist and validation

Post by DM565 »

Hello all,

I am a first time designer and am working on a real course from a Google Earth screen capture. I have figured out a few things but am stuck a little.

When I first started I used the Define Hole Path with shapes (tees, sand, fairway, green, fringe) to add the holes. I then went back and planted the tees and pin. I did this with 3 out of 4 holes. On the fourth hole I just defined the hole and added the shapes later. I can validate the course but only the fourth hole is playable. Now, when I try to validate the course and test APCD is saying I need to insert shapes into the terrain in the first step on the first 3 holes. I went back and tried that but it didn't work. Do I need to delete the hole, redefine without the shapes and add the shapes by hand?

Thanks for your input,

David Moore
Adelade

Re: Checklist and validation

Post by Adelade »

Glad to hear from people experimenting with APCD :smile:

Before answering your question, I would like to point out that the APCD video tutorial series by Lez Marwick can save you a lot of time and headaches with so many of the different parts of working with APCD, if you're willing to watch them. You will find the answer to basically any question about APCD there, assuming you look in the correct particular section for whatever it concerns. Link to video playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bHsq0ALClo

The main problem here is that the standard way APCD itself maps itself out, it recommends you to insert shapes, and that is unfortunately a very problematic way to go about things, I dont think any experienced designer ever inserts shapes. Why not? Because it creates a big and uncontrollable mess of verts and edges automatically being added to suit the shape, and unless the whole area in question is fully flat, I think it also creates really messy and random elevations that can be a pain to sort out or edit.

The standard way among designers is one where you never insert shapes, but instead use the terrain painter with certain settings to fully control where you want individual verts along your shapes, the easiest way to understand it is to check out Lez' video about it.

Either way, no one is forcing you to stop doing things the way you have been doing them, just be aware that it will be very very difficult to get a clean course product with it. So to return more directly to your question: When using Define Hole Path, if you use the default setting, APCD will FORCE you to insert at least the green and back teebox shapes, or else your hole will never be playable in Links (unless you delete and redo the Defined Hole Path with different settings). To avoid this problem, you can click the "Advanced Settings" box on the left before defining your hole path, then go to "General Settings" tab, then select the bottom one of the three "Shape Options". That option will never force you to insert any shapes (but you still have to make at least a tee and green on your own, whether by making shapes on your own and inserting those, or else with the method that doesnt insert shapes).

Alternatively, if you're certain you want to continue with your current method to see how that goes, even knowing that it is not the "recommended" method, you should probably be able to continue by selecting the Insert tool and then clicking on the red borders of each hole that currently isnt playable, that should force insert all shapes that are grouped with those holes.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
DM565

Post by DM565 »

Hi Adelaide,

Thanks for posting a reply so quickly. When I decided to try and design a course I did a Google search and found Lez's videos. I watched EVERY single one and they are WONDERFUL!! It has seriously flattened that learning curve and helped me learn that this is a LONG process and I won't be finished in a weekend, lol.

I still have a question or two. So on the remaining holes I will go to the Plan tab, click on the Design Hole Path button and then under Advanced Setting, General Settings use Create Hole Boundary Shape for existing terrain. Then use the Terrain Painter to add verts to outline the tees, green, bunkers, etc. THEN do I need to go back to the Plan tab and Create a Shape and outline those shapes again to let Links know they are tees, green, bunkers, etc? Is this how most designers work?

Or, if I'm following Lez's instructions, use the Plan tab, Create a shape and freehand draw in the tees, greens, etc. THEN use Terrain Painter to add verts to outline the shape and make it the correct terrain, green, bunker, etc?

I guess either way you have to create the hole twice? Once for the correct terrain to display while playing the course and again to let Links to know what areas are green, fairway, etc?

Thanks again,
David Moore
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Nah shapes have no affect on gameplay (the exception being out-of-bounds shapes), the game determines fairways bunkers water etc based on Terrain (Faces, and Texture Settings). You dont have to draw shapes, think of them as an aid to visualize things, but if you're working with a satellite photo put into APCD as a texture then you probably have little or no use for shapes.

(Shapes can also be useful for mass planting 2d objects and crowds, but thats irrelevant until you get to that point.)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
DM565

Post by DM565 »

Thanks Adelaide!!

Yeah I deleted the tee shape and that deleted the whole hole boundary. I then put it back in without the shapes and it immediately made the hole playable!! I did that for the other 2 unplayable holes and it worked great!!.

Thanks,
David Moore