How do I delete a top view from a 2D object?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

How do I delete a top view from a 2D object?

Post by Ian Wells »

The subject says it all.
Danny D

Re: How do I delete a top view from a 2D object?

Post by Danny D »

Ian Wells wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 7:40 am The subject says it all.
Hi Ian...

Good question, which leads me to a different question.

How do you create a "top view" of a 2D object ? And for what purpose can it be used ? I have never seen a top view of a 2D object, although I see it mentioned when you view a 2D object in the APCD Planting menu. If you bring up, for example, a 2D bench, and select the properties button beneath the picture, it wants you to browse to a "Top View Representation". Would that perhaps be a picture of the 2D bench from above that someone manually created ? :dunno:

Does the object you are trying to delete actually have a top view, and if so, can you browse to it? If you actually find a top view picture, have you tried deleting it? Or is it possible you don't have one to browse to?

I would try to look for it in the Links Extender to learn what the name of the top view file is. You might have to actually delete the 2D object from your planting set, or perhaps replace the existing one with another identical one and don't add a top view picture, and then re-assign it to your planting set, and course ?

I've never dealt with top views of 2D objects, so I'm only guessing at what you might try. I'd be curious to find out what you learn about this...

Good luck,

Dan :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Dan,
Thanks for the reply.
As you know you can select a Top View from the objects folder. I hoped that there was an "Invisible" Top View that I could select, but alas no.
I looked at the list John sent me when I first asked for the sizes of APCD objects/texures., but there is no mention about a Top View.
The object is a 2D house that I used on Wade Hampton and I must have added a top view to this one house.
It is not a major problem as I can use another object.
As I won't be using the top view on Pasatiempo I could try deleting it, but I am unsure what, if any, the ramifications will be?

There is no urgency to this, so I will wait to see what the other experts come back with.

Thanks again for the reply. :tiphat:

Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

You can't delete a top view, what I do is import a blank .tga file into the object folder, or a similar object to what is in the folder. Before you add that object make sure there is no top view selected. click the apply to all objects and then it will get rid of all top views in that particular object folder. of course you will then have to go back and reapply the top views where you want them but that is the only way I know of to get rid of them.

I'm sure you could create a blank top view but you would need to research the size and file type.

Hope that helps,

Glenn
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Glenn,
Thank you.
I was going to do as you suggested with importing the image again with another and click the apply to all objects. However I couldn't find the object in my import folder. I then realised that the object with the top view was an existing house in the base APCD.
I have therefore replaced this object with another.
Thanks for the reply :tiphat:
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

If it was me I would probably extract the object with Links Extender, then add it right back again as a new object. Depends on how many objects you have in that category though I guess, but changing back object settings for a whole category would take a bunch of work for me.

How to extract stock APCD objects: Make a new blank course file with nothing on it except that one planted object somewhere, save it as a crz then open it with Links Extender, extract the 2D object listed with the largest file size (with an "A" in its name), then figure out where that file ended up on your computer and Import it right back as a new object. Take note of the new object number and/or category so you dont mix it up with the old one, then do the object settings and add to planting set. Finally restart APCD to make sure the new settings save permanently before planting, just to be safe.

Interesting that topviews cant be removed, I had never tried it. top views can be found in APCD > Object > TopViews and are 128 x 128 TGA 32 bit with alpha channel, I made some subtle custom edits to some of the stock ones a while back which worked fine. Im pretty sure you can create shadow effects playing around with top views, but I havent personally felt the need to look into exactly how to best go about doing it. There are both TGA and .top versions of the files but I think you just need to import from a TGA if making a custom topview and then the .top file gets created on its own or something, I forgot details but it was simple enough. If it doesnt work to select one of them just try the other one. Benches and stuff like that could have topviews too but Im guessing it might be awkward to get the topview and shadow facing the correct way if it is not a relatively round object when seen from above.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Adelaide do you think that is easier? You also need to be careful with duplicate objects, they can create corrupted planting sets if you’re not careful about what you import.

If you do that and accidentally import two of the same objects into a planting set the duplicates will be highlighted so you would want to delete one of them from the planting set
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

If you have a bunch of objects within the same category whose settings are set correctly in the past and will take some deliberation to recreate - yes I definitely think so, but it is only what I would do and I dont mean to say anyone else ought to. I suppose if we're talking houses the settings may not be all that difficult to recreate, I was thinking more about trees and such, where it takes a while for me to make sure the collision box, green dot, dampening and density settings are the way I want them, but object sizes can still be important if you've taken the time previously to figure out how big each house should be in relation to a human spectator or golfer.

Importing a file that was extracted with Links Extender should always be safe because then you're importing from a file outside of APCD's file structure instead of importing from a pre-existing object or a file that may already exist inside APCD. A new object will always be created during the import of an outside file, so it does not run the risk of same-name complications with files already inside APCD (which I believe may be one of the complications with importing objects directly from courses). APCD will have no way of knowing that it is the same object as something else even if they LOOK the same, so APCD will treat it like a unique one. I dont know what happens if you accidentally import an object from the same extracted TGA file twice I suppose, since I have not done that, but Im guessing that too should be ok, two different files should be created in the TGAs folder, and either way that feels like it would be a difficult mistake to make after just having extracted a file. But yes you're right some care should be taken as always. Just extract once and import once and that will be 100% safe. I never import objects directly from courses without using Links Extender in between, and I've never had any corrupted objects from Links Extender extraction, the only time I've had run-ins with corrupted objects in my own library was when I accidentally (and very clumsily) renamed files within my Object\TGAs folder instead of copying, pasting elsewhere, renaming and re-importing like I should have done.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Thank you for the reply.
Each time I post a question I am amazed at the degree of detail I receive back.
I will copy these answers and I feel sure they will prove invaluable in the future.
Thanks again. :tiphat:
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I suppose one thing I didnt take into account was whether the object had already been planted or not, if it is just a building or two it probably doesnt matter much (probably easy to replant) but Glenn your solution perhaps works to remove top views for objects already planted as well, I feel like Ive maybe heard of you removing topviews for objects on courses in the past so you probably know.

Also I guess with my method you probably want to change your planting set to get rid of the old "bad" version of the object to make sure you dont accidentally plant that one sometime in the future, and there may be complications with deleting objects from planting sets. I dont know because I've never done so, I would have made a new planting set from scratch because Im a control freak and I like being on the safe side, and in that sense I suppose I may have ended up doing more work at the end of the day than with Glenn's solution anyway... :laugh: As I said before it depends on how many other objects you have in the same category and how much trouble it would be to redo their settings.

Oh and the invisible topview was probably a good idea, I would highly recommend testing it out properly within Links to make sure nothing ends up displaying oddly or not as intended if going with that method, but to make one it is just a 128 x 128 TGA with 100% black alpha channel (and black on the main channel as well just to be safe).

Sorry, Im (probably) done rambling about this subject.