The best and easiest way to get elevation data into APCD

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

The best and easiest way to get elevation data into APCD

Post by sagevanni »

Okay folks, let's have it.........

I'm thinking at least 3 foot elevation data.........That way fine tuning of verts will do the rest.

There has been talk on the old forum of ways some have used and imported Lidar data into APCD. Maybe if we could have one of those describe the process......????? If it is something someone has experience with and can show us all how to do it, that would be awesome.

Any other ideas are certainly welcome.

Sage....... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
braden1308

Re: The best and easiest way to get elevation data into APCD

Post by braden1308 »

Hi Sage, unfortunately the guys that did the lidar are no longer around. I always sent my requests to Mick over at APCD courses and he had someone manipulate the data so the APCD would accept it. They had access to software we did not, I don’t know of anyone around who is still capable of doing that.

Glenn
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

Way back in the prime of APCD, there was occasional mention of a special version of APCD that could import DEMs with more verts than the standard 100,000 limit. It was kept very private among a small group of the "in" designers despite requests to share it - the excuse was that working with 100,000+ verts in APCD was very cumbersome (implying that most PCs and/or designers couldn't handle it). Even if that were true then, today's technology would likely have no issue with it - I've experimented with meshes approaching 100,000 verts and have no problems manipulating it in APCD. I don't know of anyone still around who might have a copy of the special version or know who did - most likely Mick, Andrew Jones, and/or Rob Miller.

John
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Thanks guys.............................

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ahernejd

Post by Ahernejd »

jwgriffingca wrote: September 20th, 2019, 12:31 am Way back in the prime of APCD, there was occasional mention of a special version of APCD that could import DEMs with more verts than the standard 100,000 limit. It was kept very private among a small group of the "in" designers despite requests to share it - the excuse was that working with 100,000+ verts in APCD was very cumbersome (implying that most PCs and/or designers couldn't handle it). Even if that were true then, today's technology would likely have no issue with it - I've experimented with meshes approaching 100,000 verts and have no problems manipulating it in APCD. I don't know of anyone still around who might have a copy of the special version or know who did - most likely Mick, Andrew Jones, and/or Rob Miller.

John
I dont have the install files to hand but happy to help out a create a base file if needed. Just need the DEM/LIDAR and ortho image
Ahernejd

Post by Ahernejd »

Its been years since i used it but tried it there and it worked. Its a very heavy file for verts though

Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Where can a DEM/LIDAR and ortho image be obtained? I'm just getting back into APCD design, currently editing various textures and such before starting several real courses from scratch. Using Google Earth is adequate, but labor intensive. :bookh: If you can point me in the right direction obtaining the necessary files for import into APCD, I'd appreciate it.

Kev
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev
Ahernejd

Post by Ahernejd »

TBH, there are hundreds of locations to get the data. Depends on the course location and if you want to pay for it.

J
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi Ahernejd

what programs did you use to get that amazing terrain into APCD?
and in what format was the original data?

Many thanks

Peter
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Also

where is that course?

ta

Peter