What am I?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

What am I?

Post by pmgolf »

I've found the grass/week that I'm looking for, but I don't know what it's called. I need to fill a fairly large area with it, so I'd like to search for a bigger batch of it. Here it is:
Grasses102 Kinloch01.JPG
Grasses102 Kinloch01.JPG (31.58 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

Pete
loner
Site Admin

Re: What am I?

Post by loner »

Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I tried the reverse image search thing too yesterday and Google gave me "Lavandula" which didnt seem to fit, partly because they mostly seemed blue/purple and also because I assume based on your file name that we're talking about a grass in Virginia, and Wikipedia said Lavandula didnt grow wild in the Americas. I searched for Virginia wild grasses instead and I dont know if its the one but perhaps it could be "Viriginia Wild Rye"? Best guess anyway. Also a good tip that helped me out a few times, when searching for images of a certain tree or plant species, one can often find additional images by also separately trying to search for the botanic name, which is 'Elymus virginicus' for Virginia wild rye.

It could also help identifying the grass if you know whether the grass has that red tint all year around or only specific parts of the year, and/or what colour it may be in other seasons.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Here is another picture of it:
red weeds 01.jpg
red weeds 01.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
I'm guessing that it is a type of cattail. The closeup picture looks like cattails that have started puffing out near the end of their lives. Also, they are planted in a wet area. I also looked at Lavandula, but it seems to be more "flowery". It has a special look though, and I'd like to capture it if I can. I may have to go to Kinloch and look at it - if I can get in!

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You could probably achieve the right look from a usual gameplay distance by using some regular grass objects as long as you colour edit them to the right colour, likely no one will really notice any effort you spend on it beyond that... (But going the extra mile with certain details can be satisfying too, so of course do what you feel like! :thumbup: )
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...