Planting Set Lost

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Re: Planting Set Lost

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade, Sage, anybody,

I would like your help, yet again.

After losing my last planting set I deleted all the 2D planting and started again.
After planting one and a half holes, with a few minor modifications to the course, I validated and saved the course and came out of APCD. I played the first two holes in Links without a problem - apart from my poor golf.

I copied the entire APCD directory I use for Pasatiempo and pasted it. The file included 7 imported houses and 4 imported grasses, (all objects used on Wade Hampton and the grasses used on Peachtree). (I use the APCD with 2001 objects files as loaded to Links Corner by Danny). I renamed the new file APCD Working and the copied file I renamed APCD 25_05_2021.

When I opened APCD Working the whole planting set was blank, this is without loading the course. I then opened APCD 25_05_2021 and the planting set for that was also blank.

As a check I copied the master APCD with 2001 objects directory into my Pasatiempo folder opened the course and imported the first 3 houses, saved, came out of APCD and copied the directory. I then opened the copy (no name change), opened APCD and loaded the course file. All the planting set was there including the three houses I had imported.

There are a lot of houses on Pasatiempo GC so I will need to import a lot more into APCD. If one of the imported 2D objects was "bad" would it allow me to validate and save the course and allow the course to be played?

(As a solution to importing the houses I could build all the houses in 3D! That would keep me busy for many, many hours.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Ian Wells wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:35 am Adelade, Sage, anybody,

I would like your help, yet again.

After losing my last planting set I deleted all the 2D planting and started again.
After planting one and a half holes, with a few minor modifications to the course, I validated and saved the course and came out of APCD. I played the first two holes in Links without a problem - apart from my poor golf.

I copied the entire APCD directory I use for Pasatiempo and pasted it. The file included 7 imported houses and 4 imported grasses, (all objects used on Wade Hampton and the grasses used on Peachtree). (I use the APCD with 2001 objects files as loaded to Links Corner by Danny). I renamed the new file APCD Working and the copied file I renamed APCD 25_05_2021.

When I opened APCD Working the whole planting set was blank, this is without loading the course. I then opened APCD 25_05_2021 and the planting set for that was also blank.

As a check I copied the master APCD with 2001 objects directory into my Pasatiempo folder opened the course and imported the first 3 houses, saved, came out of APCD and copied the directory. I then opened the copy (no name change), opened APCD and loaded the course file. All the planting set was there including the three houses I had imported.

There are a lot of houses on Pasatiempo GC so I will need to import a lot more into APCD. If one of the imported 2D objects was "bad" would it allow me to validate and save the course and allow the course to be played?

(As a solution to importing the houses I could build all the houses in 3D! That would keep me busy for many, many hours.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Ian
Hi Ian...
Rather than building a bunch of 3D houses, you can use the ones that are provided in the 2001 3D object Library. There are enough of them that if you place them side-by-side in a line, they wouldn't start repeating until they were a good distance apart on the course. That's how I squeezed so many 3D houses into The National GC of KC, and Wakonda Club. Also keep in mind that once you add one to the course, you can add the same one as many times as you want without it adding more data to the course size. In other words, once you plant all 7 or 8 of the 3D houses, (I forgot how many there actually are), you can re-use them over and over again without the CRZ getting bigger. Another trick you can use is to rotate them so they face different directions, and then from out on the course at a distance, it looks like a different house.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Hi Dan,

3D houses sounds a much better option than 2D.
When I look in the 3D objects under buildings there are only 5 buildings. If I go into the 3D objects library under House there are 4 objects, but I cannot access them in APCD even when I try to Add them to current planting set. Did you write an idiots guide for people like me? (I can't even find the post where you made the APCD available.)
Thanks,
Ian
Edited
Last edited by Ian Wells on May 25th, 2021, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi ya Danny D.

I hope all is going well with you and I hope your recovery is 100%.

I have a question and a favor to ask of you.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

I am assuming you have a APCD directory that has all the 2001 objects imported into it...???? That is the root APCD and all of it's subfolders....???

I have never been able to get everything imported into my 2003 APCD directories.

Do you think you could zip up one of your APCD directories that have all the 2001 objects and send it to me so I can see if it works...????

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sage..... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Ian Wells wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:35 amThere are a lot of houses on Pasatiempo GC so I will need to import a lot more into APCD. If one of the imported 2D objects was "bad" would it allow me to validate and save the course and allow the course to be played?
Bad in what way? Do you have reason to suspect an object is bad? With the most common way that objects get corrupted they simply look really odd and maybe have weird bounce physics, but saving and being able to play and complete a round of a course isnt usually impacted by corrupted objects as far as I know.

As a sidenote, I wonder if you might be putting in more work than you need to by importing the objects again. I dont know if this is true for you but I sometimes get the sense that many designers dont have a good grasp of the distinction between the object library and planting sets. They are two separate things and planting sets one can make as many as one wants of, swap in and out of use, irregardless of importing objects. I suspect you could have simply created a new planting set and added the same old objects as before to it, your object library now probably contains the same objects several times. While the size of the object library builds up, thats not necessarily really a problem though, and the most important thing is that you get things to work in whatever way makes sense to you. Your current method probably accomplishes that, so dont worry about this too much, but it could be useful to keep in mind for the future.

Sage, Danny's 2001 merged APCD can still be found at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=348

Houses are found in several of the object categories that start with "3D" (not to be confused with the 2003 3D object categories that start with "3D2K3") so check all of them. In particular 3DGeneric, 3DMisc_Buildings and the 3DXPack ones I think.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Adelade, I finally got the 2001 library thing with 3D worked out. All I have to do now is figure how integrate it into my course directories without messing EVERYTHING up. :dunno:

Thanks.................Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade wrote: May 25th, 2021, 12:10 pm I dont know if this is true for you but I sometimes get the sense that many designers dont have a good grasp of the distinction between the object library and planting sets.
Adelade,
This is exactly me. (Along with most of the way APCD works :dunno:)
To try and get some grasp of what is going on I have just reopened the APCD 25_05_2021 copy of APCD and when I open the object library tab and select the object tab House, I can read the houses that I have previosly imported. I selected these objects and click on the 'Add to planting set' but the it wants me to "Save as?" What do I put in the File name?

As far as "bad" 2D objects are concerned, I don't believe that the objects I am importing are bad, it was the only thing I could think of as a reason for what is happening.

The problem I recounted in my post is to me incomprehensiable. It makes no sense at all.

As always thank you for your help.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You can call the planting set anything you like and store it anywhere you like. I tend to place them in the folder of the APCD I made them in, and I call my main set "Planting Set In Progress" because I keep updating it, sometimes I call them stuff like 'Planting set for X course' or 'testing grasses' or whatever enables me later on to identify when or why I made them.

Be careful of one thing though - When adding objects to a planting set that was already started previously, never add objects that are higher in a category list than the last one previously added. For example, if your old planting set had "Grass019" already in it from before, and then you add "Grass 011", the planting set will bug that category out. Instead make a new planting set if needing both, or perhaps first removing the higher number object(s) (from the planting set, not from the object library!!), then saving, then adding both back again works, but I havent tried that.

As for what causes planting sets to go fully blank, I've experienced it too and Im not sure what exactly causes it, but I dont see it as a big problem because I can always just remake an identical planting set from scratch - I had to do that once, and I simply opened the object library and took screenshots of which objects were in the old planting set (because even if the planting set shows up blank in the planting tab, the objects within it can still be viewed inside the object library), and then made a new planting set with the same ones. Took maybe 5-10 minutes, inconvenient, but not too bad.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Also, you're always too modest Ian. APCD is honestly a bit like rocket science, or maybe even more complicated! No designer understands it perfectly (unless possibly Andrew Jones did?), and anyone who understands it well enough to produce a decent course - not to mention an awesome one like Wade Hampton - should be proud.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Thank you.
I will attempt to recover this mornings APCD directory by adding all the objects into a new planting set.

Do you know or understand why, after copying the working directory for Pasatiempo the file had no planting set, and yet when I copied the master version of APCD with 2001 objects all the objects were there?

Thanks again for your help in teaching me about APCD, I suspect I will be learning new things about it so long as I am using it. :tiphat:

Ian