Planting Set Lost

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Planting Set Lost

Post by Ian Wells »

Just when you think all is going well ........ :rant:

I have had another crash and lost my Planting Set which is irritating but not catastrophic - the planted objects are still there.

Unfortunately I need to change one of the planted objects - and there are many - is there any way to select an object type after losing the planting set? The equivalent of "Box Select Only", except I cannot select the object name from the list. (This is a question more in hope than in expectation.)

Thank you.
Ian
Adelade

Re: Planting Set Lost

Post by Adelade »

Depends what exactly you mean by "lost planting set". If your object library remained intact you can add the same object to a new planting set and it will work, but if the object library was messed up in some way and you dont have a backup of it along with the object btx file - probably not :sad:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
Any good designer would carefully identify the order of importing new objects. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those :rant:
False economy of time :wallbash:
Thanks for the reply.
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I just make sure I have back-ups, back-ups, back-ups, back-ups, back-ups, back-ups, And more back-ups.

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
I make so many back-ups, especially when planting, but what I have found is that if I lose the Planting Set the back-ups do not maintain the Planting Set details. Or am I missing something?
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Here's what I do.......
I make a directory and name it APCD - Back Up - 1
I copy paste my "good" APCD directory ( everything in it ) into that directory.
Then I have a "back up" of the good directory.
When something messes up, let's say my textures get messed up, I only have to copy paste the backed up files ( not the other directories ) in my back up directory to my current working directory.
If I have my objects vanish into thin air or they get messed up, I back up my course directory and copy paste the "entire" backed up APCD - Back Up - 1 files ( including the directories ) and overwrite everything. Then copy my backed up course into the now fixed APCD course folder.
I am then good to go till the next APCD snafu.......

Hope I explained that well enough......it always works as long as I have a backed up APCD directory.

Every time I do major object work, I always re-back up the good APCD directory and name it APCD - Back Up - 1, APCD - Back Up - 2 and so on......then I have history.

Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
Excuse me as I haven’t explained myself well.
All that you explain is true. The problem I have is that when I import NEW objects to my working course and it crashes the newly imported objects are not recognised.
I hope that explains my problem more clearly.
Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Yes, changes to object library since last APCD start-up will not save unless you successfully close APCD without a crash that one time, (it might be the same for textures too but Im not sure) so I always ceremoniously restart APCD after completing my object settings.

Backups should contain planting set details too, provided you backed up the object.lib + the Object directory + the planting set (.PST) file. Those are the only ones I personally backup continuously (along with user.lib and certain course files), Sage's method accomplishes the same thing, the only difference being that it is slightly simpler and takes up slightly more space. After putting back the backed up files during a recovery, you also need to load the .PST file within APCD's object library for that planting set to show up.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
I apologise for not understanding what you so clearly explained - it takes a while for the penny to drop.

Sage and Adelade,
I do keep a separate APCD file for each course but I have never used either of the routines that you both use, but I will in future. It is a lesson I will learn from.

The first 7 holes of Pasatiempo are no longer completed. :wallbash:

Thanks again for help/advise. :tiphat:
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Ian, I hope you can get everything worked out.......We all have certain things that work and don't work.......

APCD can be such a fickle bitch...Everyone's version changes over time to it's own beast............