Photoshop Distortion from Google Earth Image

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Brandywine

Photoshop Distortion from Google Earth Image

Post by Brandywine »

Working on a real course, I can good GE images for a golf course at approx. 3000ft, but each time I run the screenshots thru Photoshop (Elements 9), the image, once stitched together at 4096, becomes elongated and distorted in many places, which of course means when placed into APCD, the distances are waaaay off when scaling up the course. Any suggestions as to why this is happening and a remedy? :wallbash:
Last edited by Brandywine on April 17th, 2021, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev
Adelade

Re: Photoshop Distortion from GE Image

Post by Adelade »

I think I know what you're talking about, you should find a solution if you read this post I made a while back: viewtopic.php?p=1256#p1256
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Not sure what a GE image is but try opening a new window in photoshop and make it the correct size that you need and transparent then open up your images and drop them in the resized window you made they should fit perfect not sure that will stop them elongating or not.Worth a try if you have not done this before.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Perhaps I thought wrong when I thought I knew what you meant, what I posted still applies, but if your issue comes from more significant stretching during the resizing to 4096x4096, then the easiest solution is to turn your image into a perfect square before resizing it to 4096x4096. For example, maybe your image turns out to be a rectangle of, say, 5432x3456 pixels when you're done pasting together your images, then use Canvas Size to add empty spaces along the sides so that it becomes 5432x5432, before finally resizing it to 4096x4096.

An alternative and less simple solution would be to use "Constrain Scale" in APCD's texture mapping, but it would require you to figure out the correct mathematical ratio for perfect accuracy.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Brandywine

Post by Brandywine »

Yes, you followed exactly what I meant, even if I wasn't entirely clear. I took your suggestion, and after playing around with Google Earth and Photoshop as directed, I finally got a clear, non distorted .TGA image that works well in APCD. The accuracy after scaling the image was more than acceptable. Thanks again for the assist. I appreciate it. :thumbup:
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch! ~ Kev