Logo

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ponkey

Logo

Post by ponkey »

I've watched Lez Marwick's lovely tutorial on logo screens and I thought I'd followed his instructions perfectly but......the logo screen does not show up in the game. Any ideas?
Do I need to call the logo a specific name ?

Do I need the template that Lez mentioned, if so has anyone got it?

Many thanks in advance

Peter
sagevanni

Re: Logo

Post by sagevanni »

Here is the template I use.......stay inside the tilted oval......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtu27vl4cloot ... 1.tga?dl=0

run some experiments to see what works for you......

It should be the right size....just save your work as a tga file......

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Name can be anything, unless maybe there is a max amount of characters and you call it something extremely long.

Did APCD accept it when you added it inside APCD's Course Properties or did you get an error message when trying?

Did you make sure to save the course (validate and save to be safe) after adding it, and did you make sure the course file recognized by the game is the post-save course file as opposed to a previous version?

The template isnt technically necessary, just very helpful in getting the image positioned in the right place to look good in game.

P.S. You have a private message.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ponkey

Post by ponkey »

Hi guys thanks so much for the help.

I've downloaded the template and will look at Lez's video again.

I assume that the template is just a guide to what you'll see in the logo and actually you can insert a picture covering the whole square.

I saved it as a tga 24 bit. APCD didnt gve an error message and the box changed from None to Custom. Validated and saved it, took it to Links but no logo. I did get a splash screen to work.

I'm using Photoshop CS2.

As I said I'll use the template and give everything another go and post back later.

Many thanks again.

Peter
gator

Post by gator »

I know absolutely nothing about the APCD, but in addition to the template within which is the only part seen in Links, there is this (256x256 24-bit TGA) from Art Patscheck's APCD Inside and Out (https://www.linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewt ... f=16&t=652):

APCD image sizes.jpg
APCD image sizes.jpg (163.41 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Obviously this was written before v1.07 as his book mentions a max size of 512x512 for textures, but I don't think that affects the Logo/Cameo size/type.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I take it you're not talking about real logos. There's a license available granting free use for a limited access function like Links.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Could you tell me more about that Jimbo? Or where I can read about it.
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Adelaide-check UPCOUNSEL.COM

They explain why logos have/don't have different copyrigjt protection.
It can also be affected by the purpose of the logo-in this case it's non-commercial and restricted in use...ie-us.
There's also a matter of public domain. This varies from country to country and is best found by using links from Wikipedia.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Maybe I just didnt find the correct place to read, but from what I read on https://www.upcounsel.com/permission-to-use-logo I didnt come away with an impression along the lines of what you said. Im sure you know better than me so its not like I dont believe you, I just wonder why Im not seeing what you're seeing. Based on my above link, it seems to me that the best an APCD designer could hope for - from a legal perspective if using a logo - would be to argue that one is informing Links players of what the real club is like, but that - as a legal angle - seems extremely hazy to me at best.

Unless I find something that makes me 100% certain that its fine, Im not going to use logos just to be on the safe side, not that I think its likely anyone would come after golf club logos for a 20 year old golf game, but its what I would personally feel more comfortable with.