- winterbourne2.CRZ - apcd issue

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
morvio100

- winterbourne2.CRZ - apcd issue

Post by morvio100 »

Hi ...can anybody let me know if there version of the apcd ...can open this .crz...when I try to open it the apcd hangs

Thanks
gator

Re: - winterbourne2.CRZ - apcd issue

Post by gator »

The APCD is likely displaying 'Loading Triangles' in the bottom left of the screen. If that is the case, minimize APCD and you should see a warning that for whatever reason pops under instead of pops up that reads like this:

APCD hanging.jpg
APCD hanging.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

Acknowledge the warning and go back to APCD and the crz should now load. Be cognizant of what the warning said if you make any changes to the crz.
Maybe someone with more knowledge of the APCD will come along and explain in some detail what is going on when this happens, but this should get the crz to load for you.

Leo
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

It wont open for me when I try to open it with an APCD which has not been library merged with the 2001 APCD´s objects (I dont get any 3D object warning in the background or anywhere though). It will, however, open for me when I try to open it with a merged APCD. Try downloading the merged APCD that Dan shared in the forum thread "APCD with 2001 Planting Set" in the forum section "APCD Add-On Downloads".

This course was published in 2001, which means it was made with the 2001 APCD. Including this one, I think I have only tried opening 4 or 5 courses that were made with the 2001 APCD, but I remember one wouldnt open at all, and another two opened while having certain minor or stability issues. I do not remember whether I tried with both a merged and non-merged APCD at the time.

Another tip for opening certain courses that are troublesome to load can be to make sure the APCD doesnt have to work as hard to render the initial view. By default, APCD displays a zoomed out view of the whole course in both views, which is not ideal for courses that have a lot going on in them. One way to sidestep this resource-heavy initial loading is to turn off most things from showing in the Perspective View (and perhaps even Top View) before loading the course, and then perhaps turning them on later when you have zoomed in to a smaller part of the course if you need to see them, so that APCD doesnt have to render so many things at the same time. For courses that are extremely tough to load - one can go the extra mile and set APCD to Render > "Render Hole" before loading the course, though that option is grayed out while displaying a course file without a single hole - so quickly lay out one hole path at random with the Define Hole Path tool - then you can select it and proceed to load the course.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Also, personally, when I open any course for the first time, I do it with a wiped user.lib file (simply delete it and APCD will make a clean one). Doing this can avoid certain texture incompatibility issues, and also keeps your user.lib file from getting huge and slow, in case you open tons of different courses with the same APCD. If you want to save your texture library, cut the file and paste somewhere else to save it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

thanks for the reply Adelade...the Great One = the Linskster/and Adelade...solved the issue...dl'd the apcd version with the 01 planting set....

PS....acknowledgement to Gator also ....as your solution works when that diag appears(re Loading triangles - windows circle)...thank you
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

morvio100 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:16 pm Hi ...can anybody let me know if there version of the apcd ...can open this .crz...when I try to open it the apcd hangs

Thanks
Hi Morv... It opened perfectly for me without any issues at all. On a side-note, the only thing I did was delete my "USER.LIB" file in my APCD before I opened it. I also have the complete planting sets for both APCD 1 and 2.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Thanks for the reply Dan....and thanks for posting the apcd with the 2001 planting set version of the apcd....I uninstalled the apcd version...that can be found on the Links Country Club site...and used your version....that seemed to solve the issue....also follwed Adelade's advice...with regards to regularily deleting the user.lib file....the windows blue circle appers much less now...and Gators solution...solves this...I just want to experiment with some textures and possibly tinker/redesign the bunkers of winterbourne2 for personal use...I think the winterbourne2 was an outstanding effort (forgot the designers name = apols)....he also designed another course (forget the name)..which led me to winterbourne2 ..2 outstanding efforts for 2001...so don't expect any courses from me guys...poor old Sage was recently hospitalized with "acute apcd frustration syndrome....so I know what I'm dealing with...thanks for the solutions... :thumbup: