Sages Problem Course

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Jimbo

Re: Sages Problem Course

Post by Jimbo »

I SAID THAT SAGE WAS MORE THAN ONE PERSON!! :naughty:
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:cheers1: :thumbup: Hi Sage. Just an update on the ocean course, I have laid out all the holes so they are playable, and completed the seam paths, they now need seam blending when convenient. The next stage will be to do a bit of tweeking to make room for the bunkers, fingers crossed no problems like we had before. When I tried it out in Links some of the water textures had a reddish tint on them, and the horizon line looked to high in places ?
Have you any suggestions as to the type of Pano that would look O.K ?. Are there any sites that do Panos that can be imported ?
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (224.29 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (216.94 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
I am still struggling with my problem fingers, still waiting for results and a possible OP on both hands.
Derrick
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: Hi Sage, Just an update on the course you sent me. It is now ready for some elevation work. All the holes are laid out and playable, all seam blends are complete, after I am satisfied that there are no lines showing in the bunkers I can start with the Planting. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (308.74 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_3.png (509.14 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Still not got my hands fixed so I am limited to the amount of work I can do using the Mouse. :ill: :yes: :cheers1:
Derrick
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

What course is this? :dunno:
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Hi Chuck, It is a course that Sage designed but he had a problem with the bunkers, all the seam blends had lines breaking up the seams. No one came up with an answer so I asked him if I could have a look at it as I enjoy fault finding. He gave me permision to do what I wanted with the course and as it is such an unusual layout I did not want him to scrap it. I spent many hours trying different things but for some unknown reason the lines would not go away as long as there was an exsisting bunker on the course. I tried just deleting one bunker at a time with no luck, and it was only when I had cleared all the bunkers off the course that I could do a new bunker with no lines showing. I still have no answer as to why these bunkers was the cause ? On the course I have just posted I have made new Tee Boxes, - Paths, - and Bunkers. all the holes have been laid out and are playable in Links. Everything as been seam blended and I am now ready to do some elevation work. Just out of interest the shore line seam is one continuous blend all the way round every edge of the course. Quite a distance from start to finish. I have not heard from Sage to see if he as any suggestions, ? at the end of the day its still Sages design
:thumbup: :cheers1: :yes:
Derrick
ChuckH

Post by ChuckH »

OK, thanks for the info and reply. So it's a fantasy course. I didn't see how it could be real. Quite the layout. Will be interesting to see and play. Good luck with finishing it.
c
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:smile: :thumbup: Good News, I have just done the 1st Bunker and there is no sign of any of the problem lines.
1st Bunker.png
1st Bunker.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
The coast line is also clear so I can now press on.
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Looks good Derrick... :cheers1:

I believe those lines show up because of the angle that the sunlight shines across them. I only see them on areas that are slanted or sloped at certain angles to the sky. I notice that on my own bunkers as I move around the sloped edges and view them that they gradually fade out as the light angle and direction changes. I notice that your bunker has very little slopes or angles at all, which keeps the sunlight from being cast across them at certain angles and showing up the shadows. I may be wrong, but that is my diagnosis of what causes them.

If you want to confirm that theory for yourself, try pulling the bunker down deeper so the side slopes have steeper side slants of around 45 degrees..

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Hi Danny, I have tried everything possible including what you have said, but for some unknown reason the only thing that cleared the lines was to remove all the exsisting bunkers from the course. Below is what you have just suggested, No Lines at any angle ? Could it be possible that when Sage did the bunkers that the Terrain Painter was corrupt in some way, ? Removing the bunkers was the last thing I wanted to do. but everything pointed to the verts in the bunkers being the problem
1st Bunker.png
1st Bunker.png (872.07 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
:notworthy: Thanks for the reply. By the way if you have read some of my posts regarding the Screen Print problem can you suggest one that works with XP. The one I am using is Lightshot, it works perfect with everything else, other than Links and all I can think of is that all the things that work are still pictures, the difference with Links is that it is more of a video with a moving golfer.
:dunno: :helpsmilie: :unsure: :ill:
All the best Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Danny D wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:42 am Looks good Derrick... :cheers1:

I believe those lines show up because of the angle that the sunlight shines across them. I only see them on areas that are slanted or sloped at certain angles to the sky. I notice that on my own bunkers as I move around the sloped edges and view them that they gradually fade out as the light angle and direction changes. I notice that your bunker has very little slopes or angles at all, which keeps the sunlight from being cast across them at certain angles and showing up the shadows. I may be wrong, but that is my diagnosis of what causes them.

If you want to confirm that theory for yourself, try pulling the bunker down deeper so the side slopes have steeper side slants of around 45 degrees..

Best wishes,

Dan
Hi Derrick...
You are only showing a small portion of that bunker. Those lines will only appear on the specific side that the light shines on them at the right angle. I would have to see the complete bunker lip all the way around the whole bunker perimeter to tell if they are there or not. Get inside that bunker and rotate in a circle in short movements so you'll be able to view all 100% of the lip a little at a time. Odds are that one of those views will show some lines when you face the right direction. I have never see any bunkers that show the lines all the way around it. They only show when viewed from certain directions.

Regarding the screen captures, I thought I mentioned this to you a couple of weeks ago, but it may have been someone else.

Every copy of Links2003 that I have installed since it's release has always allowed you to do screen captures by simply pressing the PRINT SCRN key on your keyboard. When you do it will place that captured image in your main Links folder. It will either be a .JPG file, or a .BMP file.

Try this.

Open Links and then open any course and go to the first tee...

Press the PRINT SCRN key one time...

Drop out of Links and open your Links main folder so you can view the files in the folder...

Look for picture files with the extension of either .JPG or .BMP...

Double-click on each one and open it to view it. The one with a newest file date should be the one you just captured...

If you want to edit it, you can copy that file and take it to a paint program for editing...

I hope this is what you are referring to. This is a standard function of Links 2k3 and has worked in every version or Windows I have ever used, including Windows XP...

On a side note.
I use a picture viewing program called "Irfanview". It's a free picture viewer and is VERY powerful for viewing all sorts of pictures. It has many other functions besides simple viewing, but it is NOT an editor. I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants a really great picture viewer.
You can learn about it and download it here ---> https://www.irfanview.com/

Best wishes, and I hope I was able to help in some way... :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added