Questions About Router Setup...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Questions About Router Setup...

Post by Danny D »

Router question...

If I am switching Internet Providers and changing from a STATIC IP to a DHCP assigned IP, how should I get the router to start using the new DHCP IP

Disable the STATIC IP option and change to a DHCP Assigned IP?

And then??

Reboot the router?

Reboot the new providers connection so it will assign a new IP number?

Both?

Thanks for any tips... :smile:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Questions About Router Setup...

Post by Andy »

In my experience, changing Internet Providers involves receiving a brand new router from the new provider and just plugging it in.

if you're not getting a new router then I would say a power reset is all you need. :dunno:
Danny D

Re: Questions About Router Setup...

Post by Danny D »

Andy wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 8:45 am In my experience, changing Internet Providers involves receiving a brand new router from the new provider and just plugging it in.

if you're not getting a new router then I would say a power reset is all you need. :dunno:
Thanks for the reply Andy. I now have Starlink. I did get a brand new router from them, but it only provides WiFi. There is no Ethernet port for my main desktop computer to use and I can't connect it to my existing network/router. I installed a Starlink Ethernet adapter which disables their WiFi router and only provides an Ethernet port with a DHCP IP assignment. I simply want to unplug my old company's cable with a static IP, and replace it with the Starlink Ethernet port which uses a DHCP assigned IP number so I can continue using my own network and WiFi router.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added