Realistic grasses

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Re: Realistic grasses

Post by Ian Wells »

Pete, Adelade,
Thanks for your comments.
pmgolf
It's always better hitting a recovery shot out of heavy grass rather than taking a drop.
I agree with you Pete and will attempt to achieve it.
Adelade:
One way I might have measured it if it was myself, is if a 7 iron reliably travels nearly the expected distance
I am following your suggestion, although I will be satisfied if it travels 50% of the expected distance.

There is one major concern I have. Is there a limit to the number of 2D objects one can plant? (I know that on Wade Hampton I used 2.482 356, but I have a feeling that Victoria National will be many many more.)

Thanks for the help.
Ian
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,

I have 4.3 million on one of my courses with no problems...............

Sage.... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Probably no hard limit but when adding more and more, eventually you will get to a point where neither APCD nor Links can load the course well enough to be enjoyable to work on / play.

How large the objects are planted to be, will have a large effect on how much they slow things down, since the smaller the objects are, the lower the rendering distance is. For example, if grasses are set to size 10 feet within APCD, the player will see them from further distances than if they were set to 5 feet, and therefore the amount of them being rendered at any given time will be a lot larger.

I also believe that the file size of the object TGA probably matters a lot. For example, a 1024x1024 pixel TGA will probably slow things down a lot more than a 300x300 pixel TGA.

The amount of different objects may also have an effect. For example - even if all objects are of same set size and TGA file size - a single grass object being planted 1000 times might render a lot better than 10 different objects being planted 100 times each, even though the total number is the same.

At the end of the day, I would say the total number of objects on a course doesnt necessarily matter that much, it is more about how densely they are planted at the spots closest to play areas. Total number of objects will often depend a lot on how large you make the plot around the play areas, or at least how far away from play areas you decide to put plantings on. It can still serve as a decent indication, sure, I just recommend not putting too much emphasis on it alone.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Sage,
I have 4.3 million on one of my courses with no problems...............
That's good news. I have not finished planting the first hole (and will then most probably re-plant it a couple of times) and I have 300,000. So it still looks good.

Adelade.
it is more about how densely they are planted at the spots closest to play areas
When I first read this I did not understand it, what can this have to do with how may 2D images I can plant? Then my light went on and I realised that your concern was the about the time to render the course, which is something I had not even considered. So now I have one and a half problems to consider. :wallbash:
Thanks Adelade :laugh:

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your help. :tiphat: and for Sage :cheers1:

Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Make sure you don't have top views on your grasses and bushes and you can plant as much as you want. You never plant as many trees so it doesn't matter about the top views.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Glen,
Thank you.
I never, knowingly, add a top view to grasses, but I must say that I do to bushes, at least the large ones.
If I were to run into a problem later, is it straight forward to remove the top views from the bushes? (Just in case.)
Thank you
Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Hi Ian, yes it's easy. You import a blank tga file into the object type you are working with, and there won't be a top view. Check the add to all objects of this type and it will take the top view away in all the objects of those types.