Can I make a seam blend that is a free drop texture ?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
ponkey

Can I make a seam blend that is a free drop texture ?

Post by ponkey »

Hi

I've got stands in my new version of Carnoustie. They arent the 3d stands that come with game, I've made them myself. I want to make the area around them a free drop zone. I've done it for single textures like rough and it works fairly well. Some areas around the stands are seam blends. Is it possible to make these into free drop areas? Or is it possible to define free drop areas a different way? If not I suppose I'll have to reshape the course a little so that the stands only sit on single textures.
Many thanks in advance

Peter
Adelade

Re: Can I make a seam blend that is a free drop texture ?

Post by Adelade »

Seamblends can be free drop :smile: As for other methods of making free drop - No I dont think there are any, have to do it with texture properties.

You just have to clone the seamblend textures, then apply the cloned ones to the specific areas you want them at, and then change the cloned version's Seam Blend Texture Properties to a single texture (that is to say, a texture that is not a seamblend) which is defined as free drop. You could probably get away with just creating one new single texture that plays as rough with the free drop box ticked and make its display name "Free Drop" or "Relief Area" or something like that, and then apply that one to all the different seam blend sections. If you prefer all textures to display the name of, and affect the ball exactly like how they actually are (e.g. Deep Rough, Tall Grass, Rough, Mary's Hayfield, or whatever), you'd have to make a free-drop clone of all the different single textures.

As long as the texture files (in other words, the visual TGA files) are identical to ones already used elsewhere, it will not increase the file size of the course (possibly by a fraction of a MB, but not more than that).

Let me know if my instructions were confusing and I will do a better job at it.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
ponkey

Re: Can I make a seam blend that is a free drop texture ?

Post by ponkey »

Adelade to the rescue again ! :clapping:
Fantastic. Tried it out today and it works perfectly, which is great news.

Many thanks :thumbup:

Peter