Need an Alpha Channel...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Need an Alpha Channel...

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

I'm putting together a tree set for Coeur d'Alene and I have two that need alpha channels added. They have been cut out and have a checkered background, but that needs to be deleted and turned into the alpha channel. I've worked with trying to do it myself, but I really suck at it. Mine always have a glow around the edges. If there is anyone here that would like to give a try I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance,

Dan :tiphat:
cdl trees.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
migolfer

Re: Need an Alpha Channel...

Post by migolfer »

Here is an attempt, hope they look alright. Seem to load into the APCD okay..
cdl trees(edit).zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Just a tip - If they are on checkered backgrounds in original format (commonly in .PNG) dont save them as .TGA without making the alpha channel, since that destroys any previous transparent cut-out and merges them onto a new default background (TGA files cannot have transparent backgrounds unless they are made as alpha channels) thus creating an unnecessary need for making a new cut out. I dont know if these particular ones were transparent originally or not, but Dan the ones you shared weren't.

If they are already on transparent background in original format, you cant create the "halo"/"glow" by making the alpha channel if you just make a selection of the layer and save selection as a channel (just as Lez showed in his videos). If there is a halo, it is a result from when someone made the transparent background in the first place. So if you have or find images with already transparent background, dont worry about "messing them up" - making the alpha channel for such objects takes 2 simple clicks and always come out with equal quality to the original cut-out :thumbup:

migolfer's ones look good :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

migolfer wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:38 pm Here is an attempt, hope they look alright. Seem to load into the APCD okay..
cdl trees(edit).zip
Thanks mi! Very much appreciated. :smile: I owe you one my friend! :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Adelade wrote: September 25th, 2021, 3:20 pm Just a tip - If they are on checkered backgrounds in original format (commonly in .PNG) dont save them as .TGA without making the alpha channel, since that destroys any previous transparent cut-out and merges them onto a new default background (TGA files cannot have transparent backgrounds unless they are made as alpha channels) thus creating an unnecessary need for making a new cut out. I dont know if these particular ones were transparent originally or not, but Dan the ones you shared weren't.

If they are already on transparent background in original format, you cant create the "halo"/"glow" by making the alpha channel if you just make a selection of the layer and save selection as a channel (just as Lez showed in his videos). If there is a halo, it is a result from when someone made the transparent background in the first place. So if you have or find images with already transparent background, dont worry about "messing them up" - making the alpha channel for such objects takes 2 simple clicks and always come out with equal quality to the original cut-out :thumbup:

migolfer's ones look good :thumbup:
Thanks for the tip Adelade. However, these 2 were .png files when I downloaded them, and they both had alpha channels, but the alpha channels were solid colored and not cut out. In that condition, I didn't think converting them to TGA's would have made any difference. I sent the original png's to you in a PM if you want to check them out.

Dan
Completed Courses
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

By the way, if anyone has some nice looking "Western White Pine" trees to share, or can think of any existing unlocked courses that has some, I could sure use them.

Thanks, :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I see, just making sure since you mentioned the checkered background. Not lucky with these ones then, but good to see the community combining efforts :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...