Greenslopes Greens Books - 4 for $100

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
pmgolf

Greenslopes Greens Books - 4 for $100

Post by pmgolf »

Greenslopes has a deal going on - 4 for $100 - but I only have 2 books that I'm interested in (Hermitage CC Sabot and Barton Creek Fazio Canyons). Anyone interested in going in with me on the other 2 greens books? Here is the site so you can see if any courses you're interested in are listed:

https://greenslopesgolf.com/

With the talk starting about the PGA Tour doing away with Greens Books, there may be some sense of urgency to this.

Pete
braden1308

Re: Greenslopes Greens Books - 4 for $100

Post by braden1308 »

Hi Pete,

I don't think they will be going away just because the PGA isn't letting the pros use them. There are too many private clubs and munis that have them for members and guests.

Glenn
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

So, I had been intending to eventually make a post related to this and I guess I may as well do it already. Oh boy, how do I say this without it coming across the wrong way...

I want to make one thing very clear first: I personally will not contribute to purchases of stracka or greenslopes or similar ones, I already spend a tremendous amount of time on this hobby and thats where I draw the line for myself, I think its very possible with enough care to design fun, realistic and fairly accurate greenslopes without green books or such and thats one of the things I intend to prove with Nine Bridges. However, I am definitely not saying that green charts/books cant be useful or contribute greatly to greens becoming fun, accurate and realistic, its just not something I personally want to spend money on and that is a choice I have the full right to make for myself. I know some think they are worth buying (and I have no opinions about that, thats good for them, its their choice) so I am going to just throw this out there just in case someone would be disappointed to not have had the chance: I have already decided to (and received permission) to make updates of Chicago, Austin and Chambers Bay, and I plan on doing the first 2 of them before 2021 is over, and the last one sometime in the first half of 2022. Redoing their greenslopes to at least feature the main characteristics of the real ones is something I will do either way, but if someone wants them to be fully accurate they can find and purchase them on Stracka (or Greenslopes or any other similar service if the courses are featured there, I think greenslopes info is less detailed for a cheaper price?), and I promise I will make them for Links. Let me be clear: I am absolutely NOT asking anyone to do this, I just wanted to once let it be known that it is an opportunity for anyone who wishes to play the exact greens in Links. I really dont care if no one does it, I will happily do my best with whatever less accurate info Im able to find (I already have some things). If anyone is interested, please contact me BEFORE purchasing anything, to make sure everyone is on the same page. And remember Dan made a thread about Stracka a while back which features a special offer (though I dont know whether it still stands or not) at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=620

The same could potentially become a possibility for a few other courses that I may or may not end up updating further down the line, such as Chapultepec and Detroit. (I have several other courses in mind to update as well but they dont seem to have any green info available anywhere at this point in time.)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

That's fine, Adelade. Anything that requires you to dip into your wallet is a matter of personal choice. :smile:

Pete
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Adelade,
There is no requirement for any designer to build the greens of the course they are working on according to a purchased contour map. Let's face it nobody is playing the Links version of a course to help them when they play the actual course. (Although I am sure that for the Linksters who play along with a PGA tournament accurate green details would be much more realistic and therefore more enjoyable.)

On Wade Hampton I used the contour maps of GolfLogix because: 1. Google Earth elevation details was not accurate, 2. my attempt at designing the contours was pretty abysmal, and 3. as WH was my first attempt at a real course, (and I was obsessed with it!), I wanted it to be as accurate as possible. Thanks to Glen I had access to the contour details by GolfLogix and felt the additional effort of rebuilding every green was worth it. (I do strongly recomend having the green details before you start your rendition - a lot less work.)

On Peachtree I felt that the GE elevation data was very accurate and gave realistic contours. (I have no idea, nor do I care, if the greens are close to the real course green contours?) Thanks to your help with some of the pin locations I haven't received any complaints.

On Pasatiempo I decided to purchase the GolfLogix green details because: 1. the greens were designed by the same person who designed Augusta, 2. all reviews I have read of the course mention the difficulty of the green contours, 3.the course is so short that without the severity of the greens it wouldn't be a challenge.

When I have decided on the next course I will render in APCD, I will use the criteria I have mentioned above to decide if I use the green books or not.

Therefore, Pete, I cannot take advantage of this offer, but thank you for making it available.

Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

It's a personal preference, not a requirement. When I build a course if I can add the real green contours I do it, if the data is not available I wing it. I have multiple subscriptions so I can get most of the data that I want, but then again I play a lot of golf and use them quite often. I believe I have something on Chapultapec and Detroit but I'm not sure if it's just the yardage books or if they have green data.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm watching the US Open on NBC (see my other post about Mr. Hughes😡) and they're using something called "Pinpoint". I looked up Pinpoint on the net and I'm not certain that it's the same thing.
Do any of our designers know about it?
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Looks like a tool (app) that can be used on a cell phone.

http://www.mypinpointgolf.com/

Pete