Cambrian Ridge HD

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
sagevanni

Re: Cambrian Ridge HD

Post by sagevanni »

Glad it all worked out Guys.............Always cool to learn something new......Thanks Duck...!!!!!!!!

Sage..... :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi everyone. I haven't touched this for about 4 months now and am currently lacking motivation to get it finished. To save it gathering dust on my hard drive I have uploaded an Alpha version so anyone who is interested can play it. 3D work is still to be done, the out of bounds areas need to be completed and planting and greens need to be adjusted etc. But it is fully seam blended and playable with 18 pins per green. Hopefully i can find the will to get it completed soon but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions they are all welcomed. I haven't uploaded a course in a while so hopefully everything is in order ( thanks Andy )

Cheers
Todd
:cheers1:

I should add that the course presented here no longer exists in this form, but rather an update of the course as it was when Links 2003 was first released. ( approximately ) lol.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

After seeing that the Hole Previews made it in, and already knowing Im happy with the greens (and pins) from earlier, all the things you mention as unfinished are things that dont bother me personally one bit. I have a hard time explaining how excited I am to play a round on this, which I will probably do this evening or tomorrow. I've looked forward to this for a long time. Really sad to hear you've been low on APCD motivation, but with this, you've already left us (or at least me) so much to be happy with. I dont wanna say too much until I experience what I think of how the layout plays too (been over 12 years since I played the Microsoft version), but I think its safe to say this is a big winner that I will thoroughly enjoy playing many times! Absolutely wonderful APCD craft. Hope youll get back to APCD one day, regardless of which course(s) it'd be about.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Beautiful work & lovely to play, many thanks
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Wonderful work Todd...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage...... :smile: :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I started looking through the holes, expecting to see a work-in-progress like usual for an Alpha, but wow! What a beautiful course! Many thanks! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Pete
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I know this course is not to everyone's liking but i have put a stupid amount of hours into it so far so the positive commments are appreciated. And yes Pete calling it an Alpha is a little misleading but there is so much yet to do it would be premature giving it beta status.

Cheers
Todd
:cheers1:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Todd,
One man's alpha is another man's Final.
An excellent course, and the "stupid amount of hours" have been hours very well spent - at least for the players :smile:

(One way to revive your APCD motivation is to start a new course. Or give a short tutorial on creating those beautiful bunkers. :whistle: )

Ian
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

I'll have to admit, when Cambrian Ridge was a Microsoft release I only played it a couple of times, and wasn't all that "into" it. But, with this HD creation from Todd, I really stood up and took notice. It's a fabulous layout to both look at and play IMO. Todd's APCD work is outstanding, and
this course will be in my collection in it's current state. I'll looks forward to a "final" version....but this is more than enough. Thanks so much for putting in all those hours, and even though you may be a bit "burned out" on the APCD for now, I, for one, sure hope you get back at it sometime to create more excellent courses , real or fictional !

Good work ! :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Liked how it played. Not a lot of courses play similar to this one, with wide fairways that are still surprisingly tricky to hit, mostly due to the many and huge elevation differences. Bit like Kapalua Plantation and Kauri Cliffs, but more challenging (and trees & water instead of canyons & cliffs). Thought of one (fictional) course which it feels like Cambrian Ridge plays very similar to - Campo El Punetero.

Thank you for the excellent course! Although it was a very long time since I played the Microsoft version, similarly to Weeler, I never like that one, so this might be the best example of how the visuals can have such a huge impact on one's enjoyment of a layout :thumbup:

Oh and I noticed one basically-non-issue that could be fixed if a final version comes out one day - I saw that at least one hole had its hole boundary shape not cover all parts of the hole's fairway, which can cause irregularities to the fairways-hit statistic if ending up on those outter parts of the fairway. Hardly a big deal but is quick to fix.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...