Cambrian Ridge HD

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duck Hook

Re: Cambrian Ridge HD

Post by Duck Hook »

All good mate. I thought something like that. I must admit I am not entirley happy with the fringe texture but it will do for now.

:cheers1:
T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Just love the way Links generates the reflections....you can get some really cool screenies with this much water...
crh17.jpg
crh17.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2953 times

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hello all...once again I need some help :smile:

So....I have just started some 3d building off plot. It's been a while since I have done this and have a problem already...lol.

As you see in the pics I have started on a bridge and while the faces are visible from above, they are not from below. What I have done is create the new faces, applied the texture and extruded upwards. If someone can explain what I have done wrong it would be appreciated... :yes:

Cheers
T
brd.JPG
brd.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
brd1.JPG
brd1.JPG (49.17 KiB) Viewed 2746 times

I was thinking maybe I have to extrude down and create new faces on top.....just can't remember
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Duck Hook wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 2:57 am Hello all...once again I need some help :smile:

So....I have just started some 3d building off plot. It's been a while since I have done this and have a problem already...lol.

As you see in the pics I have started on a bridge and while the faces are visible from above, they are not from below. What I have done is create the new faces, applied the texture and extruded upwards. If someone can explain what I have done wrong it would be appreciated... :yes:

Cheers
T

brd.JPG

brd1.JPG

I was thinking maybe I have to extrude down and create new faces on top.....just can't remember
Hiya DH... Unfortunately, a texture face is only visible on one side. If you flip it over, it will be invisible on the back side, as your example indicates. I found an easy way to make a square hollow box that is visible on all sides if that's what you needed. You can make a square hollow 4-sided box that is visible from all sides, and then stretch it to any size or shape you want.

I found a video that I made about a year and a half ago that will demonstrate how to make objects completely enclosed with no invisible side. Once you enclose a box, you can then shape it into anything you need, like a plank, or a board, or a bridge, or a hand railing, etc... Just about anything you need that can be seen from all 4 sides.

Hope this helps,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwqlrq2nzkp8s ... t.mp4?dl=0

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Not to rain on Dans parade............I think this way is easier. I use it ALL the time.
These pics should be self explanatory.......
Capture-1.JPG
Capture-1.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-2.JPG
Capture-2.JPG (37.14 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-3.JPG
Capture-3.JPG (39.31 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-4.JPG
Capture-4.JPG (39.38 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-5.JPG
Capture-5.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-5.JPG
Capture-5.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Capture-6.JPG
Capture-6.JPG (40.08 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Just create another face using the 3 verts to make a bottom face twice.

Sage..............
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Heey Dan, Sage.

Thanks so much for the replies and information. I will give these a go.

Cheers and Happy New Year !!
Todd
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sagevanni wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 7:37 am Not to rain on Dans parade............I think this way is easier. I use it ALL the time.
These pics should be self explanatory.......

Just create another face using the 3 verts to make a bottom face twice.

Sage..............
Hi Sage. The pictures are not self explanatory to me. :unsure:

For one, how did you add that bottom triangle face between pic 3 and 4?

Why do you need to add an additional face on the bottom?

How many separate pieces of textures make up your final structure?

I'm confused... :surrender: :unsure: :dunno:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Dan,

Creating the basic structure is just an extrusion from a face made from 2 triangles as a flat surface texture.

The you have a box with no "bottom".

Tilt the box so you see the invisible "bottom".

Now choose "face" "create" ( have verts turned on, it's easier) and click 3 verts in any order on the bottom of the open box. That will make 1/2 the "bottom" as a triangle.

Now do the same for the remaining triangle, this will close the "bottom" with a complete surface texture.

You now have a 6 sided box surfaced on all sides.

Hope this helps. Maybe I can figure out how to do a video showing my process.................Don't know how right now.

Oh and there are 14 final pieces of texture. 2 for each side. Except for the initial flat surface that has 4 just to make the edges sharp.

Sage...... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Dan, Sage

I knew I had an old tutorial somewhere, found it on an old pc. I have included some pictures from it that pretty much explain what Sage is doing.
13.jpg
13.jpg (141.6 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (171.44 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (162.74 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Attachments
13.jpg
13.jpg (141.6 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
17 - round1.jpg
17 - round1.jpg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

sagevanni wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 10:56 am Hi Dan,

Creating the basic structure is just an extrusion from a face made from 2 triangles as a flat surface texture.

The you have a box with no "bottom".

Tilt the box so you see the invisible "bottom".

Now choose "face" "create" ( have verts turned on, it's easier) and click 3 verts in any order on the bottom of the open box. That will make 1/2 the "bottom" as a triangle.

Now do the same for the remaining triangle, this will close the "bottom" with a complete surface texture.

You now have a 6 sided box surfaced on all sides.

Hope this helps. Maybe I can figure out how to do a video showing my process.................Don't know how right now.

Oh and there are 14 final pieces of texture. 2 for each side. Except for the initial flat surface that has 4 just to make the edges sharp.

Sage...... :smile:
Got it! Thanks for the more detailed instructions. :notworthy: I never keep verts turned on, so was not aware that you could create a face like that. I'll keep that in mind for sure. The way I did it by pulling the 4 verts together don't really get much easier, but it's great to know more than one way to do stuff. :tiphat:

Thanks again for that tip! :cheers1:

Dan
Completed Courses