Waialae CC by Tim Hagen

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Adelade

Re: Waialae CC by Tim Hagen

Post by Adelade »

I was very tempted to add the W palm trees Jimbo :thumbup: but I read that those were planted or put there a few years after 2007, so because I was making sure to only do the edits that I considered a bare minimum I skipped it. I knew people would notice and that some would be disappointed, Im sorry, would probably have been different if I could have contacted Tim Hagen.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I saw them on V2, but that's OK- the club members originally didn't want them...a little too "gimmicky" :rofl:

One other thing before I "get down to business". Many, many years ago our company had a convention on "The Big Island". We were at Waikoloa so I only got to play two rounds (very, very badly!) at the Robert Trent Jones Beach Course and Tom Weiskopf/Jay Morrish King's Course. One thing I remember - because the course is built on lava, is that when the ball landed it made a sort of "hollow" sound instead of the regular sound of a ball landing. Has anybody else played in Hawaii? If so can you back me up-or was I drinking too many mai tais (which might explain a lot! :laugh: )

But seriously the sound that I heard was different than any course on the mainland. I'm guessing that a course built on the other islands would have the same issue.

BTW we flew in two groups on different days from the mainland to Honolulu. We were in the second group and spent our first night in Honolulu. That was the night that Hurricane Iniki paid a visit. Six people were killed and there was no advance warning-the weather authority made a big mistake-our flight would have been cancelled. Anyway the major damage was on Kaua'i with less damage on O'ahu (we still had to spend the night in the hotel basement). The people on the first plane had already flown to the Big Island and because they were so far south of the other islands they missed almost everything.
Last edited by Jimbo on January 6th, 2021, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Adelade: Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to release this Tim Hagen design to all of us. I played a full round on the course, and really
enjoyed the overall look and play. The color palette and plantings looked great. ( However, I was looking for those iconic palms that looked like a "W"
thanks for the explanation above ). The only thing that sort of "disappointed" me , was that most of the buildings, including the clubhouse and a few
"high rise" condos.....were left without any sort of "detail". I'm not talking about anything at the level that LeWAW did with the buildings on his Lambton course. But just some horizontal lines and windows to denote the various levels. Right now, they kind of come across as giant slabs of concrete. I know that Jimbo is the professional Nit-picker in our group, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as well. If you, or anyone else is somewhat adept at doing 3D structures on the APCD....maybe they could give it a go. Just for the sake of realism.
I know that you wanted to keep any "tampering" or fixing to a minimum since it isn't your design, but it's just a suggestion. In addition, I'm glad you
chose to upload it in time for the 2021 Sony Open coming up Jan. 14-17, like you mentioned.

Thanks again !
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Gator,

Thanks for clearing up who's version of Waialae that I was playing.

Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I've just played my first practise round (see my comments about my trip to Hawaii and the mai tais)! :surrender:

Because it's a private club their "official" website gives next-to-no information about the actual course.

A couple of questions:

1. How much do you want me to nit pick-if at all in this case? I'm ignoring the "crossed palm tree" issue. :laugh:
2. Yes, it concerns the clubhouse-I've looked almost everywhere for a good picture of the clubhouse...they have a nice pool and a VERY nice restaurant (lotsa pics of food), but no "stand-alone" views of the actual clubhouse...certainly nothing very "usable"). Having said that, there are parts that appear to have been captured from a distance-the basic colour of the building is blue and it appears to be almost perfectly rectangular.
3. I love it when all 16 pin placements are used! :wallbash:

The other surrounding houses are magnificent!

As expected you're using the "Tournament" setting-no issue there-but it's a pain when they to a major reroute for just one tournament...if it's for TV then why change it back when the tour leaves for the mainland??? (Just a little editorial comment acknowledging your biggest problem). :thumbup:

Anyway, let me know what you think-I'm going to get another mai tai!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Well I wouldnt mind it Jimbo, but you would probably just be wasting your time since there is virtually no chance of me making a further update :smile: (unless the original designer shows up and gives his blessing for further updates, I suppose). Im a little curious on the reasoning for the PGA/members rerouting as well, but I wondered if it perhaps might be because the members' front 9 feel a tiny bit easier(?), so ordinary golfers get a bit of a "warm up", whereas they want to show off the more scenic parts of the course on the last few holes in big tournaments for the PGA (and tv cameras). Thats merely my best guess though.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Fair enough...I'll actually to play some "real" rounds!😁

If I could have gotten a real good view of the clubhouse it might have been different...and since the "X" trees are a non-starter we're good.
Besides all 16 pin placements were used...that's something else I "really love".🤪
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Had a great time playing this course. Thank You!!!! :clapping: :cheers1: