Sunningdale Old Course Beta

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
gene_golf

Re: Sunningdale Old Course Beta

Post by gene_golf »

Jimbo wrote: November 20th, 2020, 8:41 pm No disrespect to the LPGA or PGA Seniors but I find it hard to believe that Sunningdale has never hosted an Open. I'm betting that they could "find" another 300 yards or so.
All British Opens have been played on links style courses nearby to some big body of water beside course. Royal Dornoch, Royal County Down, Ballybunion are some notable courses that would seem to be excluded that fit qualification otherwise. Sunningdale being on outskirts of London is considered an inland course---not a links type course. Here is a list of rota courses that have hosted British Open and list that copy here has to be changed as a few years back Muirfield was taken out of rota for not having women members.

Current rota courses
St Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Turnberry, Royal Troon, Royal St George's (Sandwich), Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St Annes, Royal Liverpool (Hoylake) and Royal Portrush

Former rota courses
Prestwick, Musselburgh, Royal Cinque Ports, and Prince's

By the way Sunningdale's Old Course was designed by twice winner of The Open Championship, Willie Park Junior and opened in 1901. The British Open was first held in 1860, so the length of the course being possibly 300 yards short according to Jimbo of providing a test for today's golfers is not at all a factor that should be taken under consideration now days as if tournament officials wanted to play this course as venue for British Open---they certainly had many years to choose a non-links type of course before now and 300 more yards would not be sufficient. Hole #1 is a 495 yard par 5, hole #3 is a 315 yard par 4, hole #9 is a 275 yard par 4, hole #11 is a 322 yard par 4, and hole #14 is a 499 yard par 5 making for 5 holes really playing extremely short lengths. Looking at history of course---Bobby Jones had great fondness for the Old Course. In 1926 during qualifying for The Open Championship (which he went onto win at Royal Lytham and St. Annes) Jones shot 66-68. Regarded for many years as the ‘perfect round’ the 66 consisted of 33 shots, 33 putts and no hole was played in more than four and on ten holes, the shot to the green was played with a two iron or wood. NOTE: THIS WAS IN 1926 AND COURSE IS LISTED AS ONLY AROUND 6600 YARDS by link currently shown here. https://www.provisualizer.com/courses/s ... course.php
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Lots of love from everyone for this course! :cheers1:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

MR. BROOKS-YOU HAVE MAIL!😉
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks for the history lesson Gene!😁
I noticed that it's virtually a "suburban course...I thought that perhaps the "links" thing might have played a role...oh well there's still the LPGA and Seniors
nigelpenn

Post by nigelpenn »

Thank you John for this course. Seeing this listed excited me as it is my favourite course. I helped a guy to design this course for JN6 some years ago by taking photos and following your release this will renew my acquaintance with Links 2003. I would really love it if you could design Sunningdale New course as well. That would be truly fantastic.
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks for responses. Am thinking about Sunningdale New Course designed by Harry Colt - well, it was "New" when it first opened in 1923! Bit like the New Forest which was "new" in about 1100, and the Jubilee Course at St. Andrews (Queen Victoria's Jubilee, 1897). But real golf beckons as lockdown (hopefully) ends next week.

Cheers and thanks

John Brooks :smile:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Great John, nice to have the two, Sunningdale Old nearing completion ?
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

I have a "to do" list half a mile long of changes to Sunningdale Old Beta, so I'm leaving it open for a few days in case there are any more arising!

Cheers

John Brooks :pcwhack:
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Forgot - just talking about the British Open (really the United Kingdom Open) - Ballybunion and some other superb Links Courses are in Ireland, so unfortunately, we can only use the courses in Northern Ireland like Portrush and County Down. County Down has all the facilities, but is situated in IRA bandit country - shame because this would make a superb Open venue and nearly always appears in the World's top 30. Dornoch's too far off the beaten track. St. David's in Wales is another possible, but is miles from civilisation and lacks large facilities. I think Muirfield's back on the rota after getting the vote on admitting women right. Cinque Ports was originally called Deal, last used nearly 100 years ago - together with Princes (new clubhouse, last used when Gene Sarazen won in 1932), these courses adjoin Sandwich in Kent, and are future Open possibilities.

Cheers

John Brooks :tiphat:
gene_golf

Post by gene_golf »

brooks2345 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:03 pm Forgot - just talking about the British Open (really the United Kingdom Open) - Ballybunion and some other superb Links Courses are in Ireland, so unfortunately, we can only use the courses in Northern Ireland like Portrush and County Down. County Down has all the facilities, but is situated in IRA bandit country - shame because this would make a superb Open venue and nearly always appears in the World's top 30. Dornoch's too far off the beaten track. St. David's in Wales is another possible, but is miles from civilisation and lacks large facilities. I think Muirfield's back on the rota after getting the vote on admitting women right. Cinque Ports was originally called Deal, last used nearly 100 years ago - together with Princes (new clubhouse, last used when Gene Sarazen won in 1932), these courses adjoin Sandwich in Kent, and are future Open possibilities.

Cheers

John Brooks :tiphat:
Also tournament is called by many The Open Championship.